Good book for Christmas Eve

(14 Posts)
jennymac Thu 22-Nov-12 11:46:18

I always get a Christmas themed book for Christmas Eve to read with the kids (aged 4 and 6). Have run out of ideas for this year. Can anyone recommend a good one?

do you have Madeline In America?
I've just brought this one and it has several Christmas/holiday stories in it.

I'm assuming you have Night Before Xmas and a version of the nativity story?

Anythingforabitofpeace Thu 22-Nov-12 12:26:45

The night before Christmas is pretty traditional here. Stickman is good too.

ColdWinterMorning Thu 22-Nov-12 12:35:17

Tolkien's Letters from Father Christmas is good, but too long for one night. We read a letter a night through December, and have The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve

cazza2878 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:42:07

Does anyone have the pajama elves book? Sounds like a lovely idea to go with the new Christmas pj's!!

jennymac Thu 22-Nov-12 14:05:18

We have the Night Before Christmas and always read it as well as the new Christmas story. I just like to have a new book set out beside their Christmas PJs as a surprise.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 22-Nov-12 14:14:15

We are the proud owners of:

Night Before Christmas
Snow Lady
Angel Mae
The Nativity story
Father Christmas needs a wee
Humphrey's Christmas (Humphrey's corner)

I'm sure there are more but those are off the top of my head.

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Thu 22-Nov-12 14:16:00

How about 'The Jolly Christmas Postman'. I love those Jolly Postman books!

Molivan Thu 22-Nov-12 15:24:04

Maybe they're just a little young, but for next year/year after, there's The Grinch That Stole Christmas by Dr Seuss. Was a Christmas Eve must in our house for many years and ought to be still only they think it's more fun to be working and going out with their mates - sigh! In fact, who needs children? Where's my copy?

The Grinch has been DD's fav since she was just 4 so I don't think they will be too young. I must dig out Stickman.

jennymac Fri 23-Nov-12 17:03:48

Had just stuck the Grinch on my amazon list Molivan so think I will go with that. We have a few other Dr Seuss books which they have enjoyed. Will also look at the Jolly Christmas Postman.

DaPrincessBride Fri 23-Nov-12 23:28:09

I always still do read Father Christmas every Christmas Eve!

gemz86 Fri 23-Nov-12 23:42:18

I've just ordered one from amazon called Father Christmas visits the Welsh Valleys. I think they do them for other areas too.

I used to absolutely love jolly postman Christmas book when I was younger. Can't wait until ds is old enough not to wreck it. May just toddies off to amazon and but a copy for myself anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now