Can we share ideas for teacher gifts?

(45 Posts)
DewDr0p Tue 20-Nov-12 11:24:10

I like to get them a little something and include the TAs in that too. With 3 dcs at school now (and one being taught by a job share too!) that means 8 pressies to buy! So I need to keep the unit cost down. Running out of ideas as one of the teachers has taught one or other of them for 4 out of the past 5 years!

In the past I have done wine, pretty tealight holders, personalised notebooks from Funky Pigeon, real ale for the male teacher. Last year I got them all handwarmers (picked up in a sale for about £4 each).

I try to steer clear of chocolates usually as I am guessing they get tons of it (dm was a teacher and she always did!)

Would love to hear any other ideas.

DMCT Thu 19-Sep-13 11:32:47

Wine wine wine - always good. I taught before i had ds1, and wine was great to get. i now buy teachers and ta's a bottle of wine each.

Other nice things are some nice boxes of biscuits from m&s - they are usually on offer in the coming months :-)

Sometimes ive sent in a tray of pastries for the staff to eat at break, not a good idea too close to xmas though as the staff room is usually overflowing with choc.

MERLYPUSS Thu 19-Sep-13 11:11:05

We did a whip round for end of year and gave tokens for a well known shopping centre. We also got a large print Julia Donaldson book from the old class to the new class for teacher to read. I organised a scrap book for the teacher with drawings and thankyou letters from each child. Also photos of days out of the class and when the school won the borough young art award presented by the mayor. (she is head of art) She can chuck it out if it's too twee.

ELR Thu 19-Sep-13 10:43:58

We do class collection, suggested donation of £5 last year teacher got a kindle, hand cream, wine and chocs and TA's got sanctuary gift sets, wine and chocs.
Will do the same again this year too but will prob get top shop vouchers as teacher quite young.
Things I have done in the past:
nice hand cream
Nice umbrella
Posh notebook and pen
Canvas tote bag from hobbs got massive discount due to a friend working there so only paid £4.50 instead of £15

But like others say its the thought that counts.

enjolraslove Thu 19-Sep-13 09:24:15

As a teacher I honestly would say a note/card with a message (not just happy Xmas) about why you like me being your teacher etc is the best thing ever. I keep them all and they still make me cry. Probably one of the first things I would save if the house was burning down type thing.
After that - wine please or gift vouchers are lovely. But really don't worry aside from the notes I can't remember who gave stuff or didn't at all and certainly don't care.

Crutchlow35 Wed 18-Sep-13 19:19:41

Haha!

CaptainSweatPants Wed 18-Sep-13 19:14:46

Raising a zombie thread to advertise

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:13:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jojane Fri 21-Dec-12 12:02:54

Well gave in my presents today - cake pops that look like Xmas puddings and some pens with hearts and flowers on

makemineapinot Fri 21-Dec-12 00:05:34

Also I only I've presents when they are deserved!! DS had a dreadful teacher a few years ago and I don't buy her anything!

makemineapinot Fri 21-Dec-12 00:03:48

I'm a teacher and work in a really deprived area teaching infants. Got a gift card yesterday from one wee boy (god knows where he got it from) which he gave as a card with a bit on the back to stick to the wall! He was so pleased he could give me something as he comes from a very hard homelife. I honestly don't expect anything but would love chocs, wine etc if anyone was buying me a gift! Have my own children and also get so many pictures given to me at school that I don't think I'd really want a frame with a picture in it! Sorry... My own kids have taken in wine for their teachers and a big box of chocs for the staff room last week so they had time to enjoy them!

SecretSantaMN202 Thu 20-Dec-12 21:00:57

As a teacher I'm delighted to receive any gift that has been chosen for me-wine, chocolates, smellies, slippers, photoframe etc. but my favourites (other than cards/notes/emails of thanks) over the past decade+ have been necklaces chosen by children who notice I always wear long necklaces, and one of those fab friction pens in the colour I marked in.

My own DCs will take in a gift if they ask to, but for the adults who are special to them. DC1 it was the teacher (who received a bag large enough for exercise books so she doesn't have to use a shopping bag anymore <observant offspring cares about these things> whereas DC2 has limited interaction with the nursery teacher-the nursery nurse is the adult of choice and so she was given a small thing of smellies because DC1 thinks everyone does/should like bubbles in their baths.

chandellina Thu 20-Dec-12 20:33:37

How do you pass on the presents? I only do the school run once a week for my reception son and don't really know the TAs by name and scarcely by sight.

Tactifer Thu 20-Dec-12 12:24:20

Bit late for a suggestion now, but for those of you who are in a last minute panic perhaps not! As a teacher, the one gift I appreciate above anything else is a simple, genuine note of thanks, especially if it comes from the student. We spend much time, effort and emotion during the time the students are with us, and, at the end of it, they often disappear off into the world and you never know how much you are appreciated (if at all!) Remember - positive feedback motivates teachers as much as it does the pupils! We can buy chocs, wine, smellies etc, but not thanks.

spookysal Mon 10-Dec-12 19:01:49

I was going to get some soaps from Lush but might just tape a Lindt chocolate inside the card now I've read this

tristessed Mon 10-Dec-12 18:44:47

at my dds school we all pay around £20 (10 for teacher, 5 each for TAs) and the money is spent on John Lewis vouchers. I know if I were a teacher I would rather treat myself to something I really want than get 30 boxes of chocs/ framed scribbles/ tacky keyrings etc!

Goofygoober79 Mon 10-Dec-12 11:38:59

I'm a teacher. I'd like PENS! Most teachers spend a fortune on pens because they can't get them from school / school won't give them free. So, get the teacher some nice pens. Not cheap ones! Bic biros are great - green, blue, red, black combos. Or some nice pens in the colour that your children's books are marked with - that would be thoughtful. But it has to be Bic / Stabilo / Staedtler - good pens!

Otherwise, get them whiteboard pens, paracetemol or chocolate.

AnitaManeater Fri 07-Dec-12 08:01:17

The worst teacher gift I have seen is a keyholder with 'reasons for teaching - Easter hols, Christmas hols and Summer break' in a twee shabby chic style. Horrible and it suggests that the teachers actually down tools during this time!

Might go for the Costa Coffee voucher this year.

jojane Fri 30-Nov-12 00:15:03

Last Xmas I gave the teacher, head teacher an 3 class TAs a funky pen from wilkinsons and a chocolate. Pens were £1 for 6 I think and had different cupcake patterns on. Teachers always need pens don't they? Figured wasn't even more chocolate or another mug or coaster to find room for but something practical and pretty

Pyrrah Thu 29-Nov-12 22:59:34

I would imagine that things that can be eaten, drunk or regifted go down best!

MrsJohnDeere Tue 20-Nov-12 14:49:25

I get either a nice box of biscuits in a tin, or panettone, or wine (the latter only if I know that they're keen drinkers). Almost all of the teachers and teaching assistants we give to have teenage sons so I'm confdent that anything edible will get eaten by someone.

Every time I've seen one of these threads in the past I've said something along the lines of 'I'm a teacher, no presents required, cards are lovely because they can be kept.' Which is true. But now I have DD and she's at nursery and every time I see a giant box of chocolates I think, 'oh her key worker would like that!' or 'maybe I should get a couple to share among the staff'-I'm so bloody grateful to these saints who keep her happy and entertained and educated and clean and fed while I'm at work, there is no present big enough IMO!

Cahooots Tue 20-Nov-12 14:37:38

I am not getting any teachers any presents but I will thank them and send thank you notes at appropriate times.

doglover Tue 20-Nov-12 14:37:17

As a teacher, I genuinely don't expect anything. If I could choose (!) though, I'd opt for wine , biscuits or chocolates. Pet hates of mine - and my colleagues - are 'smellies', mugs, photos, etc. The tin of biscuits/chocs for the staffroom is an EXCELLENT idea. Yuckk to the pictures in frames, I'm afraid! We really don't judge children/parents by their giving, or not, of gifts.

piprabbit Tue 20-Nov-12 14:34:52

I'm getting wine for the teachers and TAs this year. I've never gone down the wine route before with DDs teachers - but I figure that DS's teacher is going to need and deserve a large glass of something nice having coped with my DS and 22 classmates for his first term at school. I know I do and I only have the two to organise.

Halfling Tue 20-Nov-12 14:32:00

This year I have bought scarves on sale (I think £3 each) from H&M. Mostly it is chocolates or gourmet jams etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now