What yummy home-made delights are you planning to make this year? As gifts or just to scoff?

(152 Posts)
Greensleeves Thu 15-Nov-12 13:58:12

I am planning on making homemade yule logs for teachers, peppermint creams, marzipan fruits/penguins/robins, Christmas pudding shaped truffles with white icing and little icing holly toppers, Turkish delight, mini mincepies, Christmas tree cupcakes...

I am a nutter and I LOVE Christmas!!!

clippityclop Fri 16-Nov-12 18:48:49

You lot are amazing. I'm feeling deeply inadequate as my efforts so far are limited to wondering if I'll kill anyone by cooking up a Mary Berry Christmas cake kit from last year? Will be back for more ideas.

DoubleMum Fri 16-Nov-12 18:53:38

I've cooked 3 Mary Berry cake kits so I sincerely hope not! The fruit was pickled in alcohol, it will be fine.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 19:24:28

Wow you lot are so good! The only thing I'm really making this year is home made mince pies with shop bought mince meat and pastry and chocolate coated marzipan balls with a liquor in the melted chocolate.

spookysal Fri 16-Nov-12 19:53:23

pie for boxing day buffett

Christmas pud - Delia
Christmas cake - Going to try Nigella's Chocolate Christmas cake this year (has anyone on here made it? Is it nice?)
Mince pies - from last years mincemeat which is maturing away in the back of a cupboard
Spiced Red cabbage - Delia
Gingerbread house - bought the kit from Aldi today - does that count?
Sausage rolls
Spiced biscuits to ice and decorate the tree with
Christmas sweets from Lisa Faulkners cookbook
Stained Glass window biscuits - made these last year and they looked fab!

Is the Baileys fudge easy to make? I would love it!

And how hard is a yule log to make from scratch? Is it easy to roll? I normally cheat and decorate a chocolate swiss roll blush

NuclearStandoff Fri 16-Nov-12 20:47:28

shouldn't this be moved to the 'poncetastic' christmas section?

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 16-Nov-12 20:54:40

spooky I've always wanted to make my own Yule log but Am also worried about the roll so watching with interest. Suppose I won't know until I try.

anja1cam Fri 16-Nov-12 21:10:20

Here you are - I was very impressed with the result and followed the recipe to the letter - except for using 'ordinary' white caster and icing sugar... My breadmaker did not have an 'add raisin' function to I added the dried fruits after the dough came out of the machine.

Pistachio & Rosewater Stollen

(quick OCR from photocopy!)
comes from: Good housekeeping -Great Recipes for your Bread machine-Joanna Farrow

For a vibrantly coloured marzipan it's best to skin the pistachios first, by soaking them in boiling water for a couple of minutes then rubbing between pieces of kitchen paper to remove the skins.

1 ½ tsp easy-blend dried yeast
350g (12 oz) strong white bread flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground mixed spice
25g (1 oz) golden caster sugar
50g (2 oz) butter, melted
l50ml (1/2 pint) milk
3 tbsp rosewater
75g (3 oz) sultanas
50g (2 oz) pistachio nuts
50g (2 oz) candied peel, chopped

For the Marzipan
150g (5 oz) pistachio nuts, skinned
40g (1 ½ oz) golden caster sugar
40g (1 ½ oz) golden icing sugar
2 egg yolks

To finish
Icing sugar to dust

1 Put all the dough ingredients except the sultanas, pistachio nuts and
candied peel into the bread maker bucket, following the order and
method specified in the manual.

2 Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the dough programme
with raisin setting, if applicable. Press start. Add the sultanas, pistachio
nuts and candied peel when the machine beeps or halfway through the
‘kneading cycle. '

3 Meanwhile make the marzipan. Put the pistachio nuts in a food processor
and blend until finely ground. Add the sugars and egg yolks and blend to
a paste. Turn out on to the work surface and shape into a log, 24cm
(9 1/2 in) long. Grease a large baking sheet.

4 Once the dough is ready, turn out on to a floured surface and punch it
down to deflate. Roll out to an oblong, 28cm (11 in) long and 15cm
(6in) wide. Lay the marzipan on the dough, slightly to one side of the
centre. Brush the long edges of the dough with water then fold the wider
piece of dough over the paste, sealing well.

5Transfer to the baking sheet, cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave
in a warm place for about 40 minutes until doubled in size. Preheat the
oven to 200°C (fan oven 180°C) mark 6.
6 Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to
cool. Serve lavishly dusted with icing sugar.

I actually brushed it with melted butter before dusting with icing sugar...

=========================

And: peeling the pistachios is easy but tedious. Drain them straight after soaking or they go quite soggy (happened to me) and the marzipan is a bit too squidgy - I added some ground almonds to make it easier to handle.
Or make sure you give them extra time to dry out.

The resulting Stollen is not too massive, the rose flavour is just discernible and the whole thing is just delicious and quite luxurious, and a nice change...

hurricanewyn Fri 16-Nov-12 21:37:03

Kate - Sorry, just noticed your post now.

DIY reeses Theses are easy. Mix and assemble & they're always popular.

Salted Caramel Brownies Haven't made these yet, so am can't vouch for them grin

Mummajic Fri 16-Nov-12 22:15:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

theressomethingaboutmarie Sat 17-Nov-12 06:27:36

Oh I love this thread! I'm on mat leave and trying to get as much done as possible with a 13 week old DS and deling with DD's school pick ups and drop offs.

So far I've made mincemeat and Christmas pud. I will crack on with the Christmas cake next week and hopefully get Round to making some fudge too. I made some salted Carmel brownies using Nigella's brownie recipe and my own take on salted caramel (butter, sugar, Maldon salt). I put alf the brownie mix in the tin, poured on the caramel and then topped that with the rest f the Browne mix.

scottishmummy Sat 17-Nov-12 11:22:13

I always make tablet for nursery,colleagues,teachers
always goes down well

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 17-Nov-12 11:44:18

What's a tablet SM?

JugglingWithPossibilities Sat 17-Nov-12 12:21:53

You'd have to plan early for this but a friend of mine makes delicious Christmassy sloe gin and blackberry vodka, damson gin also very good.

She says it's easy as just mix equal quantities of fruit and sugar (or slightly less sugar so not too sweet) to cover the fruit and leave in dark place for a couple of months (no more than 6 weeks for blackberries as they're a soft fruit) Then strain. - Oh and either have to prick the sloe skins with needle, or easier put in freezer to burst skins open.

They are all heavenly and the sloe gin in particular is a gorgeous, golden, Christmassy colour smile Something for next year perhaps ?

JugglingWithPossibilities Sat 17-Nov-12 12:23:21

Oh, should have said add gin or vodka to cover fruit and sugar mixture smile

Lollybrolly Sat 17-Nov-12 12:44:47

SpookySal - Do you have a recipe for the stained glass window biscuits?

lastSplash Sat 17-Nov-12 13:14:13

Is there an equivalent thread for non-yummy homemade delight?

(non-edible gifts and crafts I mean rather than burnt or crap ones...)

AnnCoats Sat 17-Nov-12 13:16:46

I fancy making chocolate vodka for friends this year. Anyone got a good tried and tested recipe?

KateShmate Sat 17-Nov-12 13:25:57

Thank you hurricane ! grin

JugglingWithPossibilities Sat 17-Nov-12 13:44:33

Stained glass window biscuits are very effective and quite easy to do I believe.
Seems like idea would appeal to any young helpers too.

I plan on making sweets for teacher presents. Peppermint creams, chocolate truffles and florentines. I would love some different ideas though.

lookout Sat 17-Nov-12 14:01:56

Not a lot this year but will definitely do mince pies (shop-bought mincemeat though sad) and Advocaat. Made it year before last (was bf last year) and absolutely loved the obligatory Christmas day Snowball made with home-made Advocaat. Christmas in a glass.

Love the sound of the eggnog muffins so may give them a go too.

racingheart Sat 17-Nov-12 15:31:44

AnnCoats - depends on whether you like them or not, but a pub near where I used to live made Daim bar vodka. Just put mini daim bars into the vodka, shake twice a day and leave to infuse. Then put upright to settle. There's a chocolately sludge at the bottom of the bottle but it tasted divine. They also made Mars bar vodka.

This year we're making:
a chocolate swiss roll yule log for us for Christmas Eve,
white raspberry chocolate truffles for the children
dark brandy truffles for grownups
spicy chutney (made already)
Christmas puddings
seedy cheese straws
Dutch Apple Cake for New Year's Eve Party
Nigella's spicy roasted nut and herb mix
own mince pies made with my mum's home made mincemeat, and she is also making the cake this year. I feel so Christmassy already, I want to get the lights up!

Clothilde Sat 17-Nov-12 17:29:07

I'll be making Christmas cake, mince pies, stained glass window and gingerbread biscuits for the tree, a gingerbread house, sausage rolls, spiced seeds (sweet and savoury), salted caramels, gingerbread caramels, peppermint bark, some spice mixes and maybe herb blends to give away, spiced pickled pears and pickled mushrooms. I'm also going to have a got at a nut-free marzipan alternative that I've seen using semolina. I have no idea if it will be nice, but I'm allergic to almonds and really miss marzipan.

I've made some shortbread today, basic recipe with very little thought! i saw loads of quite faffy recipes online, with ingredients i can't find, and in the end opted for plain flour, butter and caster suger with some vanilla essence.

They turned out really well following copious quality control tests

I'm not sure how long they'll last in an airtight tin. Or from me (phantom biscuit bandit).

piebald Sat 17-Nov-12 20:54:22

Oh dear oh dear, i plan to make all my presents this year but havent thought what yet. You are all scaring me!
I do plan to make some roasted nuts that i did last year , they are kind of spicey and sweetly sticky- but cant remember where i found the recipe, it may have been on here. Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now