Best family board game?

(111 Posts)

Looking for a present for step brothers family don't see them much but will see then at Xmas was thinking a game for them all would be good but need ideas.

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 09-Dec-12 09:18:57

These threads always cost me a fortune - have discovered and love Carcassone, Labyrinth and Blokus. Now have in my Amazon basket: Gamewright Forbidden Island and Small World. Any feedback before I hit 'buy'?

OP - Pit is great fun, loud but good fr younger ones too as you don't need to read and older ones just like the yelling.

Perrudo could also be good for the age range you mention- kids like it because you have to lie!

dementedma Sun 09-Dec-12 09:28:05

We have bought Carcassone for this year so hope its as good as people say.

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 09-Dec-12 09:28:58

DD (and my mum!) just like building the tiles into pretend villages grin

SminkoPinko Sun 09-Dec-12 09:29:40

lololol@ "let's play it now, you can consummate later",fp! Thanks for this great thread, folks.

fuzzpig Sun 09-Dec-12 09:46:06

We were shock and blush and grin in equal measure, SP. Needless to say we didn't actually play it that night, tempting as it was!

rcd Thu 13-Dec-12 15:37:18

I bought Qwirkle recently and my family really enjoys it. It involves matching colours and shapes and it is possible invent a very simple version with a 2year old. I have even managed to get DH who is not keen on board games to play it.

Stripy1 Thu 13-Dec-12 16:06:49

My son is 9 and is loving Monopoly. He can play it fully engaged for about 2 hours! but my daughter is 6 nearly 7 and lasts about 20 mins before she has lost interest. Junior monoploy would be great for her.

Dancergirl Thu 13-Dec-12 22:44:36

Has anyone tried Chairs or Q-Bitz? Both got good reviews on Amazon.

rrreow Fri 14-Dec-12 14:07:13

For the person asking about Dixit, you can actually watch the game being played here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6UlbxeDE0w (and lots of other games as well) I haven't played it myself but from watching the video it's definitely on my wishlist!

fuzzpig Fri 14-Dec-12 14:45:24

I quite fancy getting q-bitz myself but don't know if DH would enjoy it as much as me!

SierraGolf Sat 15-Dec-12 09:55:28

I know this is really late but if you havent already bought something try Twister for all ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now