FN's Ponstastic Christmas Thread part Trois....

(839 Posts)
FellatioNelson Sat 22-Sep-12 06:43:07

....will be officially open for business on September 24th. I am just firing up the engines and dusting down the control room ready for action in case I forget to do it on the 24th

Do not post yet. Do not. Sit on your hands, ladies.

On your marks........................

Forgive me, it must have been a heart shaped one. I was sure it was like the Sainsburys one.

lightrain Sun 18-Nov-12 08:48:48

Wineglass thanks v much. Think I'll order on click and collect as you suggest!

Prattling - thank v much, I've seen that one. I almost bought but am worried that the heart shaped thing (white wicker/ birch twigs etc) is a little bit overdone these days and perhaps reaching the meh stage?! Huge apologies if I offend anyone who has many heart shaped wicker things in their homes! I am a ponce, after all smile

WineGless Sun 18-Nov-12 09:12:29

Light rain
I bought a wreath cage at the ideal home exhibition which was filled with quality at and looked amazing. You could put led lights in it and decorate yourself. Can't finds pic online but if you google and look at images they have got some cork filled ones so you get the idea. Mine is in a star shape

girlywhirly Sun 18-Nov-12 16:14:13

Thing3, if the mincemeat has alcohol in it, you can just put it in clean jars cold. The alcohol acts as a preservative. Just make sure the jars and lids are really clean either by washing in dishwasher, pour boiling water over them, or bake dry in a low oven.

I've never had problems and I've never cooked home-made mincemeat before it is baked in the pies.

If the recipe says put in fridge overnight just cover with clingfilm and do that. It will just be to allow the dried fruits to soak up liquid and 'plump' up.

Thank you girlywhirly. I have done the Hairy Bikers mincemeat which has 50ml of sherry and 50ml of Brandy. I left it in the fridge overnight and put it into jars today.

The recipe says to blend some of the ingredients into a paste and then to add the rest whole. I blew up my hand blender blush last night but want to make at least one more batch. Can I just add all ingredients whole? There is a lot of dried fruit.

FredWorms Sun 18-Nov-12 20:25:56

I've made HB mincemeat today following everyone raving about it on here and I'm dubious, tbh. It has a sort of slight pithy bitterness. I was scrupulous about removing the pips from the lemonso it can't be that. I'm hoping it will mellow as it matures, but I'm unconvinced so far.

FredWorms Sun 18-Nov-12 20:30:20

beautiful berry wreath for lightrain

girlywhirly Mon 19-Nov-12 07:59:03

Thing3, I don't chop/blend raisins, sultanas or currants, but anything larger I would chop finely, so that they are no larger than the raisins. I don't know the HB recipe. Mine has dried figs and apricots in it which get finely chopped in my processor before being added to the other ingredients, and the alcohol is sherry! Sorry about your hand blender.

Fred, is the pastry a sweet one for the HB mince pies, I wonder if together the mincemeat doesn't need to be too sweet or they would be a bit much?

NoSoggyBottoms Wed 21-Nov-12 00:36:23

Oh my goodness!

Is it possible to be in love with a thread on an internet forum? blush

I've only just found this thread, where have I been?! This is amazing! grin

Will sadly be lurking this year as money is tight....but will be jotting down notes for next year!

Keep calm and ponce on!

Clothilde Wed 21-Nov-12 06:50:11

So what's the verdict on the HB mincemeat? I haven't made any yet. I have some 2 year old jars of Nigella mincemeat at the back of a cupboard, but I am a bit afraid to open them.

I have just ordered a load of wheat and lavender to make hand warmers and wheat bags. It turns out that red flannel and flannel with tasteful Scandinavian prints is hideously expensive, so I am going to by a flannel sheet, some red dye and fabric pens and make one side plain red and get DD to draw hearts/stars/snowflakes in red on white flannel on the other side. I might do some with red gingham for people who don't like stuff that looks home made.

tiddleypompom Wed 21-Nov-12 11:18:48

Crikey, and I thought I was quite prompt and organised thinking about Christmas before Dec 1st - now I hear I should have been poncing since Sept?? Sigh. Oh well, better late...

Nigella mincemeat I like with all those 'glistening jewels fa la la la'. That's the red one with much booze, yes? It might be a bit dry after 2 years, but those jars are valuable!

Little to no poncing commenced thus far, except 3 x puddings plus cake made. Intending to dry orange slices in aga this afternoon (come on, I get points for that surely?) for glass jar-filling & scent.

Looking for willow wreath ready to adorn (has this been done already) if anyone can suggest an outlet - though the red dogwood idea is terrific, I bloody well pruned them earlier this month and the bits went on the bonfire.

We moved to current rural location a few months back & am considering drinks party for those villagers we've met to date - are mince pies and mulled wine just too obvious? I'd like to make a good, welcoming impression without laying down any gauntlets (chance'll be a fine thing with a toddler & third trim bump) - so lots of casual ponce is required without anything being recognisably Cox & Cox...

Sorry - marking place whilst thinking out loud.

As you were...

Nearly got all my shopping. Planning on starting the PONCERY on 1 Dec, kicking off with poncey gift wrapping with my brown ikea paper. I'll post pics so you can criticise grin.

Then onto sorting the Xmas decs, and making my pine cone garlands. I'm going to need lots of wire.

I'd love to see pictures of everyones poncery. Isnt there a way of starting a picture thread? Does anyone know how to set one up, and would people be interested in joining to post poncey inspiration?

Its like HelenMumsnet read my mind. grin

Christmas Poncing Picture thread!

I killed the poncetastic sad

<rings jingle bells sadly>

Aww lord, no.
Everyone is just too busy poncing to post.

How have I only just found this thread?

I have been getting my decorating ponce on, but struck down in my prime with norovirus. Think Husband is secretly relieved.

I'm too late to start cooking poncery now, aren't I?

TheElfOnThePanopticon Fri 07-Dec-12 12:52:12

I am just resuming poncery after illness, too. I am now recovered enough to make the mincemeat without germ paranoia, and I have to get on with making the hot lavender wheat bags/handwarmers. I have all the buts now, so it's a case of dying fabric, cutting it out, getting DD to draw fabric marker pictures on the white handwarmer fabric, seeing it all up and filling it.

Then it's just he sweeties to be made.

I was a bit worried about the pickled mushrooms, but they are not going mouldy, so I am assuming all is well.

girlywhirly Fri 07-Dec-12 14:35:54

I think everyone is trying to get all their things finished/wrapped/posted/delivered!

Zeeky Fri 07-Dec-12 19:36:32

Decanted all my flavoured spirits yesterday - toffee rum, raspberry vodka, blackberry gin, rhubarb schnapps, cherry brandy, Kahlua! Just have to make some poncey labels for them before they get mixed up & I forget which is which!

OhDearNigel Fri 07-Dec-12 23:29:41

inspired by who knows who on the internet, I have purchased an Aldi Yule Log for DD to smear in chocolate chestnut and tonka bean ganache and then sprinkle with crap festive trimmings.

I am anticipating it becoming a glorious OhDear family tradition - the decoration of the Buche de Noel.....

OhDearNigel Fri 07-Dec-12 23:30:41

I'm too late to start cooking poncery now, aren't I?

Dahling, it's never too late for poncey cooking

What poncery do I still have time for?

I made my jams a while ago, so have those to label up but not really made anything else this year!

Hi all. I have thus far: wrapped all the presents vair naicly. Sent lovely cards. Made mincemeat, jams, chilli jam, chocolate vodka, dried out orange slices, made Christmas cakes. I can't think what else but I've been really busy making the house beautiful for our party next Saturday. Going to make loads of pony food for that.

Ha not pony food! Poncey food obv.

Also got to make the rest of the things for in the hampers for gifts. Will do that after we've had the party.

FreeButtonChristmasTree Sat 08-Dec-12 09:14:17

Yay! We got the house - hopefully exchanging next week. Next year's Christmas poncing will know no bounds.

Am going to make my chrimbo cake this afternoon - nigella's chocolate fruit cake - by request from DH. Also putting up tree. Unfortunately the babies inside me are starting to be very annoying and i am exhausted so rest of the poncing will have to be put on hold this year. Do need to do a christmas menu but just me and dh so not too much hassle - will pop to sainsburys on the sat before christmas at 8am - was fine last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now