Trip to the USA, what to buy?

(9 Posts)
rocketupbum Mon 04-Feb-13 18:42:05

I have a child free break in Washington dc at the end of the month. I don't want to spend bags of time shopping but I am mildly excited about shopping without a time constraint and a child chewing my leg!
I would love some new/better cosmetics.
Any ideas international crew?

GrendelsMum Mon 04-Feb-13 21:10:19

Don't forget that sales tax is added on at the till, so you will probably pay another 6% on top of the ticket price.

starfleet Mon 04-Feb-13 21:18:41

For cosmetics Sephora is always a good place to start. They do lots of upmarket brands but also their own range which is good. Their nail varnishes are by OPI and cheaper. Duane Reade drugstores are also handy for cheaper items - maybelline mascara etc. Mac is slightly cheaper in the US but not by loads and department stores always seem to have good offers on. Have a good trip!

Fairypants Mon 04-Feb-13 21:21:14

...shamelessly listening in for own trip next week...

hermioneweasley Mon 04-Feb-13 21:23:17

Levi's, J Crew, Old Navy, browse in Macy's, bath and body works, Victoria secret. Finish off with flavours of m&ms you can't get here. Done.

hermioneweasley Mon 04-Feb-13 21:24:04

Have you done your ESTA?

Also lots of small bills required for constant tipping.

rocketupbum Tue 05-Feb-13 21:50:06

Thanks for all those tips o far.
Just getting the paperwork done, only booked flights at the back end of last week!
Yes good point about tipping everyone that moves.

Burts bees stuff is way cheaper in the states than here, if you like it.

GrendelsMum Wed 06-Feb-13 13:12:50

They've recently made heavy cuts to the number of staff in immigration at US airports, so you can be unfortunate and hit a time when you have to wait for between one and two hours to get through immigration, without access to seats or water or food. (Quite seriously, I nearly fainted, and there was a very small and British riot at one point.) Just in case, I recommend having a bottle of water, a magazine and an energy bar reserved for going through immigration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now