Best shower gel and body lotion for insanely dry skin?

(37 Posts)
Lottapianos Sat 01-Dec-12 21:08:37

Skin is in a right state at the moment, feels two sizes too small. I love my cheapo Tesco lime shower gel but I think it's dried me right out. Willing to spend a bit if it works so please give me your best recommendations for shower gel and body lotion for parched skin!

ceeveebee Sat 01-Dec-12 21:09:55

You could just use aqueous cream, very cheap and makes skin lovely and soft. Does smell a bit coal tar though

Or I have used a coconut cream one from body shop

TigerseyeMum Sat 01-Dec-12 21:27:52

Avoid anything with SLS and synthetics. Dries you out.

Dr Organic range in Holland and Barrett is a good budget choice. Neals Yard Organic stuff is amazing but expensive, they do a wheat body lotion for dry skin.

Another thing might be pure aloe vera gel, I use this as body wash when sunburnt or irritated and it is fantastic on sore dry tight skin. Rub it all over in the shower, massage in and rinse off.

Try a skin oil not a moisturiser.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 01-Dec-12 21:29:53

I use Dove normally, and then body lotion.

Recently I've been using an Elemis bath milk as body lotion on my really dry bits, oh it is amazing! God knows how much it is though!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 01-Dec-12 21:30:18

Aveno lotion is good.

MrsSnow Sat 01-Dec-12 21:30:59

Eating oily fish, honestly when my skin goes dry that seems to make the quickest difference.

MousyMouse Sat 01-Dec-12 21:38:32

no shower gel, bar of soap for pits and bits for the rest just the water is sufficient. shower very quickly and not too warm. maybe wash hair separately.

for really dry and itchy skin (hands and shins in my case) weleda skin food helps. for really really dry and cracked skin I use aveeno firt and then skin food on top.

BRANdishingMistletoe Sat 01-Dec-12 21:44:04

I agree with avoiding anything with SLSs in it. Jason is widely stocked in health food shops and reasonably priced and doesn't irritate or dry my skin. I prefer Yes to Carrots, but it isn't as widely available.

Akamuti do African black soap which is extremely gentle and non-drying. The also sell essential oils so you could buy a bottle of lime essential oil and add a few drops if you want the smell.

They do some good body moisturisers too. I use the frankincense and myrrh oil and find it moisturises really well, but also sinks in so I don't have to wait ages to get dressed after a shower. It has a distictive smell though, which I love but you might not.

41notTrendy Sat 01-Dec-12 21:47:11

Ditch shower gel, use soap and try to find one with as few ingredients as possible. I got a wonderful bar from the gift shop at Sandringham (I know grin) but it was so mild I could even use it on my face.
And ditto for a moisturiser.

Arthurfowlersallotment Sat 01-Dec-12 21:47:22

I like E45 shower cream or Sanex for dry skin, followed by lots of aqueous cream on wet skin.

Prolificmincepiebreeder Sat 01-Dec-12 23:47:14

Aveeno body wash is good
As it Weleda

anniewoo Sun 02-Dec-12 00:44:30

Elave shower gel

Gingefringe Sun 02-Dec-12 13:38:08

SebaMed is really good. pH 5.5 and ideal for sensitive, dry skin. They have a good range of this on Amazon. Difficult to get in the shops though.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 02-Dec-12 13:45:04

I really like the Body Shop Earth Lovers range of shower gels, they are SLS and paraben free and have a lovely range of scents, they're on 3 for £6 online at the moment, normally £5 each

skandi1 Sun 02-Dec-12 13:54:28

I second BRANdish with Akamutis liquid black soap. It's brilliant. No nasties. And makes your skin soft and clean without stripping. I wouldn't use anything else now.

kiwigirl42 Sun 02-Dec-12 13:56:06

Aveeno was the best I'd tried for hands I used to wash 20 times a day at work. It is not greasy at all.

Absolutely the only shower gel I have found that does not dry my very dry skin out even more is Forever Aloe liquid soap, I use a tiny bit on one of those shower puffs and it makes a lovely lather. Follow with some Diprobase cream if very dry. I buy the Aloe stuff from a friend who is a distrubutor, am sure if you google it you can find someone local to you. It's also great for the kids baths.

jamaisjedors Sun 02-Dec-12 15:01:01

Eucerin body lotion with urea is the only thing which makes any difference to my v. dry eczema-prone skin.

And Aqueous cream to wash with.

beanandspud Sun 02-Dec-12 17:23:18

The best 'body lotion' I've found is double base gel (from the chemist). I have it for patchy eczema but it's brilliant. Diprobase cream is also good. It smells a bit clinical but used at least once a day it's made a massive difference to my skin.

amillionyears Sun 02-Dec-12 17:25:58

One of my DDs has very sensitive skin.
Only soap that suits her skin, long term ,is simple soap.

Maraki Sun 02-Dec-12 18:30:49

L'occitame almond shower oil or Dove pampering with shea butter and vanilla shower gel. Clarins Moisture Rich body lotion or any of the dove body lotions. I just hate the smell of pharmaceutical non perfumed stuff like aqueous cream, eucerin or aveeno. My skin is very, very dry.

jan2013 Sun 02-Dec-12 18:43:17

i use diprobase cream and find it really good.

I second the l'occitane almond oil , it's lovely.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 02-Dec-12 19:48:01

Maraki I use the Aveno almond lotion, it is very good and smells fab.

Clure Sun 02-Dec-12 20:09:02

Palmers coco body butter - bit greasy but fab for very dry skin (and you get to smell like a nestle milky bar!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now