MN is giving me a headache

(9 Posts)
CheddarGorgeous Thu 07-Feb-13 12:40:18

Is is just me or does anyone else have neon flashing ads down the right hand side -

"Warning - Your PC is about to crash Click here to fix for free" etc.

Or is it just me?

And those in-thread ads are back - converting words to look like the OP has added a link whereas it's for a "win an IPad" competition. A bit off when the OP is pouring her heart out about the latest relationship trauma...

FloatyBeatie Thu 07-Feb-13 12:42:11

Those sound like something nasty that has been smuggled onto your pc via malware rather than MN-approved ads. Could you run a virus check?

kinkyfuckery Thu 07-Feb-13 12:42:53

I have ABP - no ads! Bliss! grin

But yes, run a virus check!

CheddarGorgeous Thu 07-Feb-13 12:43:11

AAARGH - they've done it to mine!

Just checked - it doesn't happen in Firefox.

Possibly malware - will check. thank you smile

CheddarGorgeous Thu 07-Feb-13 12:44:56

Kinky what is ABP?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 07-Feb-13 12:46:49

Ad Blocker Plus...

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Thu 07-Feb-13 12:49:28

I don't have these atrocities. But I seem to have musical adverts coming through the headphones - and I can't see the ads! One is for pampers, I couldn't make out the other as they were running concurrently. It had to be mN as I had two tabs open at once.

CheddarGorgeous Thu 07-Feb-13 12:54:18

Yep, it looks like malware, and scan has found nothing. Anyone know what I ca do next? sad

CheddarGorgeous Thu 07-Feb-13 14:00:22

Right, fixed it, found a programme called "Giant Savings Extension" nestled in amongst my programme files, removed it and all is well with the world again.

Naice middle class ads appearing on MN now, no more migrane-inducing flashy things smile

Apologies for MNHQ for accusing you of making the site look tacky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now