Mark warner?

(20 Posts)
Chocoholicforever Wed 09-Jul-14 21:38:03

Has anyone been to a mark warner sun holiday? I'm a single parent with two toddlers, the childcare appeals, the activities appeal but the cost is huge and the accommodation doesn't look luxurious. Would I be best to book something like Sensatori for cheaper (I need the kids club to start from 3) or are Mark Warner worth it?

Any opinions or alternatives?

We did Mark Warner in Lesvos, great except small shy child didn't want to attend child care. Spent a lot of time by the pool, but that was fine.
Another couple we noticed dropped off the child and that was that it was activity full for them.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Thu 10-Jul-14 09:37:10

Mark Warner is worth it if you want to do all the activities. I learnt to sail, waterski and DH enjoyed the tennis. If you mainly want to chill on the beach or pool there are probably better value options. The rooms are fine, the way the holidays are set up you are not really in them much apart to sleep.

MaryWestmacott Thu 10-Jul-14 09:44:32

We've done mark warner, the one in Turkey. It's worth it if your dcs will go in the kids club/childcare. I thought the hotel was much nicer than other 4star places I've stayed, and the food was good.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Thu 10-Jul-14 10:21:08

Mary was that the one that is all inclusive. If you went during the school holidays did you notice if many teens went?

MaryWestmacott Thu 10-Jul-14 13:08:55

Yes, AI - and the wine is drinkable and the mid afternoon cakes are lovely! wink

we went in May, but there were a lot of older children, not many teens, but that's not a good time to take teens out of school.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Thu 10-Jul-14 13:11:06

Thankyou.

Chocoholicforever Thu 10-Jul-14 22:38:24

Thanks for replies! Was it mainly families there? I made the mistake of going to a holiday village last year. I was the only single parent travelling alone with children and hated it

Belloc Thu 10-Jul-14 22:49:51

Chocoholic - MW always have a dinner table for adults travelling not as a couple. I've done it lots of times. Go. You'll have a brilliant time.

Chocoholicforever Thu 10-Jul-14 22:52:33

Thanks Belloc, assume children an be in childcare when adults only are eating? Just don't want to make the same mistake again. This children loved it but I have never been so lonely

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 11-Jul-14 09:12:40

It could be worth phoning them up as there may be more weeks or resorts with a mixture of people. I remember one year we made friends with a lady whose husband couldn't get the time of work. The meal times can be social on long tables or you can sit on your own.

Belloc Fri 11-Jul-14 09:18:16

How old are your children?

They have a children's drop off crèche in the evening. If they're really little, they watch a film and the nannies tuck them into a cot/bed so they can sleep. If they are bigger they do evening activities (tennis, rounders, basketball etc) and later watch a film. Then you pick them up later from the childcare centre.

Older children have kids clubs all day: 9am to 12.30. Then 2.30 to 5.30pm (the morning session is half an hour longer). Younger children only get either the morning or afternoon. So make sure your children are booked into the same session if they only get half a day.

MW is mostly boring snoring couples grin with children but there are singles travelling with or without children (for various reasons) and Mark Warner are very good at getting them all together. It's great fun.

Belloc Fri 11-Jul-14 09:20:20

Chickenfajitas - they don't seat people together any more. Except for on the singles table.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 11-Jul-14 09:57:40

Oh sorry, I must have went before they changed it. I used to enjoy meeting lots of new people.

Belloc Fri 11-Jul-14 10:06:31

Chicken fajitas - Agree. It was more sociable. Stopping it coincided with stopping free wine with meals. Boo to both those things.

We often meet nice people there though and end up having dinner together.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 11-Jul-14 10:16:17

No free wine, I'm well out of touch.
We sometimes go on cruises now and enjoy the evenings as usually do one night on a communal table and then the next night we eat just as a family.

Chocoholicforever Fri 11-Jul-14 11:13:36

Thanks everyone, they are 3&5 so should be in the same kids club together. Next year will be easier as more places for 4&5 year olds, otherwise I think I'm pretty limited to mark warner, thomsons family or sensatori (I just wouldn't mind an hour or two a day to shower and read a book in peace!)

Chocoholicforever Fri 11-Jul-14 11:14:45

Definitely heading more toward MW now though because of your responses!

Belloc Fri 11-Jul-14 13:19:26

Chocoholicforever - Have a lovely holiday. ANd don't forget to ask for the Mumsnet 5% Mark Warner discount.

Chocoholicforever Fri 11-Jul-14 21:16:33

Thanks Belloc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now