How do you get to Switzerland ?

(11 Posts)
purple15 Sat 24-May-14 14:44:57

I was following the other threads regarding our summer holiday in Switzerland.
All sounds good except for the distance.
For many years we had our own touring caravan and went as far as the Dordogne in France. So this time there is only us, two adults and two teenagers.
The distance from the ferry in zeebrugee is 520 miles and calias 507 miles. So we would be hiring some type of accommodation once there. Is it easier to fly ? Or really expensive ?
I f fly we would need to hire a car at the airport.

lazypepper Sat 24-May-14 21:11:43

I haven't driven to Switzerland. But have gone as far south as carcassonne in France.

If you managed to drive to the dordogne whilst towing a caravan you would be able to drive to Switzerland.

Just plan an extra night or two in each direction and stpp off.

Waswondering Sat 24-May-14 21:13:14

Friends live in Switzerland. In a car, they are 7h to Calais. We were 7h from Calais to Vendee last year!

OublietteBravo Sat 24-May-14 21:16:01

DSis & BIL drove to Switzerland last summer (alternatively, EasyJet fly to Geneva).

SummerSazz Sat 24-May-14 21:16:04

We drove to Carcassonne and Switzerland last year grin

Shirleycantbe Sat 24-May-14 21:20:41

We drive to Switzerland every year (summer and winter) - 13 hrs door to door from SW London to mountains at far end of Lac Leman. It's a doddle!

Shirleycantbe Sat 24-May-14 21:22:21

Oh and flights plus car hire are usually much more expensive (though it depends on time of year). Our kids are 8 and 6, we dont stay over night anywhere, just leave at 6am and get to our place by supper time.

spamm Sat 24-May-14 21:33:39

We used to drive to the Uk From Switzerland every year to visit our grandparents - from the Lac Leman area to Calais or Cherbourg and it was never terrible. About 7 hours and generally very good roads. Avoid Paris if possible. I was always excited as it meant cheddar cheese and tomato sandwiches on the ferry. Strange the things we remember.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 24-May-14 21:34:43

I drove to Zermat once. Took about 10 hours from Dunquerke I think, maybe slightly longer. We got an early morning ferry, landed about 7am and were at the campsite by early evening.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 24-May-14 21:35:40

Dh was navigating and took us an odd route that went France, Brussels, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Germany, Switzerland.

CaurnieBred Wed 28-May-14 23:42:42

We drove to Berne. Went through France to Strasbourg then down through Germany into Switzerland via Basel. Came back the same way. Took about 9 hours from Boulogne (was about 8 years ago when Speedferry was in operation)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now