Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not sure if anyone would know?

(9 Posts)
freezearseholes Wed 30-Jan-13 20:22:33

Not sure if anyone would know if you can request a psychiatric assessment for your husband. I am having counselling for severe problems in our marriage after trying to leave, but not successful yet! My counsellor has suggested that I try and get an assessment for my husband, as he tried to kill himself making sure I would find him and threatened suicide again recently because I tried to leave him and other problems beside this.

tattoosarenotallowed Wed 30-Jan-13 20:23:38

Don't threaten. Just leave.

Lueji Wed 30-Jan-13 21:09:07

Yes, leave.

pictish Wed 30-Jan-13 21:10:11

I say leave here too.

He sounds supremely manipulative.

Leverette Wed 30-Jan-13 21:17:57

If he has tried to kill himself (no matter how feeble the attempt) then yes, he should receive a psych assessment.

You can make an appointment with his GP and describe his behaviours and your concerns.

Hissy Wed 30-Jan-13 21:20:26

Yes, leave.

tattoosarenotallowed Wed 30-Jan-13 21:22:18

His problems are not your problem, but HE is.

Please don't waste time and energy trying to understand or fix this man - you can't and you will drive yourself to distraction in the trying to. You really need to leave - get out and stay out. And leave him to sort his own head out.

Hassled Wed 30-Jan-13 21:25:44

Agree you should leave - it sounds like manipulation rather than actual suicidal thoughts.

But if we're all wrong and he is suicidal, who else can take over the reins? Does he have siblings, parents? I think you should do what you can to ensure he gets some help, but that doesn't mean you don't protect yourself as well.

izzyizin Wed 30-Jan-13 22:04:20

If he's unwilling to submit to one, you'll have great difficulty getting a pysch assessment for your h.

When you found him apparently in the act of doing away with himself, did you call the police/amublance service?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now