Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child benefit - opted out but still got payment

(13 Posts)
LouThomp Tue 08-Jan-13 09:03:41

Help please - I'm sure its just me being stupid and not understanding. I have opted out of receiving child benefit as we are no longer entitled - but today have received a payment (about £15 less the normal amount). Does anyone know if this is the final payment (assumed would get nothing after the 7th - i have had letter from HMRC confirming our opt out. Just need to know if I can spend it, or need to put it aside to pay back!!!!

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 08-Jan-13 09:07:49

Yes it's ok I got mine too today. On the confirmation email it states this could happen.

fishybits Tue 08-Jan-13 09:09:27

It's paid in arrears. I'm expecting January's and then no more hmm

from hmrc website:

It is worth knowing that you may still receive a Child Benefit payment in January 2013 even if you’ve already asked for your payments to be stopped. This is because Child Benefit is paid to you in arrears. If you receive a payment in January 2013 you don’t need to do anything.

LIZS Tue 08-Jan-13 09:17:06

Letter says "We will stop paying CB to you from 7 January" confused

LouThomp Tue 08-Jan-13 12:32:09

Thank you all - a small welcome surprise!! X

CuddyMum Mon 04-Feb-13 16:44:46

We opted out too but have received another payment today!

JSparkles Thu 07-Feb-13 20:20:58

Hi there, I've got the same problem too, I received full payment in January and then again this week for February, despite having opted out before the deadline, and receiving confirmation. Having gone to the trouble of opting out purely so that hubby doesn't need to self assess, it appears he's now going have to? Can anyone advise please? Thanks!

LIZS Sun 10-Feb-13 20:13:02

Our last payment was 28th December - not sure if we should have received another 10 days' worth or so hmm.

Mrspringle Tue 12-Feb-13 20:40:35

We had a payment in Jan that was a lot less than the normal payment, but nothing since, I actually rang, and the automated message said it was paid in arrears and some may receive a january payment.

CuddyMum Tue 19-Mar-13 11:30:04

We received a payment for March too - I'm very confused.

CuddyMum Thu 28-Mar-13 11:05:30

And yet another payment today!

Notgoingtotakeitanymore Tue 09-Jul-13 07:46:23

I am still receiving payments now, although opted out before the deadline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now