Stanbridge Earls School tries to exclude girl after allegations of rape.

(112 Posts)
Narked Mon 21-Jan-13 22:38:31

Here.

It describes itself as 'a small, independent, day and boarding school for girls and boys aged 10 to 19 with Specific Learning Difficulties including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia.'

The tribunal said it had cause for "grave concerns" about safeguarding at the school.

The First-tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability found the school failed to protect a vulnerable disabled pupil who was a victim of grooming and sexual abuse by male pupils at the school.

The tribunal said head teacher Peter Trythall's conduct "borders on contempt for statutory duties".

Marlinspike Tue 22-Jan-13 18:44:50

yes, read it - My DH was a pupil there many (many) years ago.

NuclearStandoff Tue 22-Jan-13 18:50:05

There's another thread on this in Education.

Narked Tue 22-Jan-13 19:01:50

Good.

suzieford Tue 22-Jan-13 21:46:08

I was a previous student, and everyone is looking at this subject completely wrong! please read

I heard the rumor of what was going on yesterday and thought that it was just a rumor!

To my dismay I find that it is not just a rumor but it is becoming a serious threat to the place we all once called home.

I cant help much cause I am all the way here, but you guys need to defend this place! Not just out of our memory or just OUR year groups, but for the memory of every person that has gone to this place since those doors first opened!

This place had it's bad times, but we need to make people see that the reality is every school has a moment of ugliness. Wether it would be from students passing away or drugs or run aways etc the list can go on, my point is every school either public or private, have all shared one or two of these moments. And yes when they are confronted of these issues there is the schools reputation on the line, and when types of situations like these arise the school will have to be as discreet as possible due to the media being jackals.

I feel bad for the family and for the young girl and for the horrific ordeal they are all must be going through.

Serious measures should be taken to make sure something like this will never happen again, but to close this school, would be wrong.

People fail to realize when you send your child to a private school your not just sending them to a new education, your sending them to a new home.
A home where you will be sleeping for years and years on end in the same dorm with someone that you will build a connection with that will last their entire lifetime. They become your siblings, you have the sisters and brothers you don't get along with, then you have the other sisters and brothers you do get along with. Even thoe you don't get along with the others, they are still a member of the school and that make them one of the team, and they will teach you a lot about yourself even when you don't realize it but in the long run after you leave you always have the random moment in your life where you will think about them and always have times where your surprised by the fact you actually miss them. And saying this its the same with the staff. Not every kid will like every staff member but they do act like parents, they are caring, and they are at that school to help.
But like any other parent and any other teacher, they cant always be watching them

DorisIsWaiting Tue 22-Jan-13 22:08:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LesBOFerables Tue 22-Jan-13 22:13:07

Jesus Christ hmm

cosmickitten Wed 23-Jan-13 00:19:30

Suzieford - being discreet as possible to save a school's reputation!!! This is more important than dealing with a very serious alleged sexual assault? Read the report its pretty daming on the school. They failed this child. It is highly likely that the she will carry the effects of that year for the rest of her life.

I am afraid that the findings of the tribunal do seem likely to tarnish the reputation of the school (would say something stronger but I'm not sure this is the place). I’m sorry that this may also tarnish the memories that you and others have. But sweeping bad stuff under the carpet doesn’t mean everything is ok.

I rarely comment on mumsnet but this has stuck a cord with me. At 16 I was raped, and all the adults I spoke to parents, teachers, doctors, failed on to act on the information I disclosed. It was totally downplayed and I was made to feel at fault. I had a lot of minor physical injuries which were patched up and never spoken of again. The emotional scars took years to heal. In fact it is only in my 30's that I have fully come to terms with both the rape and the reactions of those I thought would help me.

In addition to my own past, I also have close family members who attended Stanbridge Earls, not that long ago. It has to be said that the school saved their education. But my heart breaks to think that they may have spent their formatative teenage years in an environment that appears to deal with such serious issues so lightly. It must give a very confusing message about sex, relationships, saftey and rights.

Narked Wed 23-Jan-13 01:06:44

You have spectacularly missed the point, so much so that I wonder if the failure to act on child protection issues and victim blaming is something that is entrenched at the school.

A girls was sexually abused. Multiple times. The staff were informed and still failed to protect her. They then tried to suspend her.

They spectacularly failed in their duty of care and the head in particular is singled out for an attitude that 'borders on contempt.'

I posted this thread to help the truth spread far and wide.

LibbyLo66 Wed 23-Jan-13 01:10:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pompeymer Wed 23-Jan-13 08:35:26

There is so much about what really happened which has not been disclosed and had it been some of the messages on here would not have been written.
LibbyIo66, there has only been 1 Head at the School following the retirement of Mr L in 2010 (2010/2011?), which is the present one.
The Pastoral care is still excellent along with the education, I cannot fault it.
But like any School, not every School suites every child.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 23-Jan-13 08:54:57

>But like any School, not every School suites every child.
Not vulnerable girls, evidently. hmm

Bambisalive Wed 23-Jan-13 10:17:15

Given that the school hasn't been able to defend itself in the media yet, perhaps we all need to take a step back and wait to see both sides of the story before we pass judgement and are so damning about the school.
If the pastoral care at the school was so bad, would it be at full capacity given the parents of the kids have seen the news coverage?

Narked Wed 23-Jan-13 11:49:02

How about waiting for some kind of official investigation into what went on and the school's conduct ...

'The First-tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability found the school failed to protect a vulnerable disabled pupil who was a victim of grooming and sexual abuse by male pupils at the school'

Narked Wed 23-Jan-13 11:50:11

It looks like the denial is pretty institutionalised. Much easier to blame the victim.

SaraBellumHertz Wed 23-Jan-13 11:56:24

Jesus Christ.

That report is horrifying.

That people are posting here defending the school is beyond belief.

SirBoobAlot Wed 23-Jan-13 12:04:45

sooperdooper Wed 23-Jan-13 12:37:01

JoanByers Wed 23-Jan-13 22:10:33
McBalls Wed 23-Jan-13 22:21:28

Wtf, where have all these School Reputation Defenders crawled out from?

How very fucking inappropriate.

Seabright Wed 23-Jan-13 23:05:25

And all three School Reputation Defenders are first time posters too. Fancy that.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 01:18:12

It's pretty clear from that report that the school totally failed to protect a vulnerable child ove an extended period of time and then lied about it.

TheNebulousBoojum Thu 24-Jan-13 06:07:06

suzieford,

'This place had it's bad times, but we need to make people see that the reality is every school has a moment of ugliness. Wether it would be from students passing away or drugs or run aways etc the list can go on, my point is every school either public or private, have all shared one or two of these moments.'

Every school may have moments and incidents that highlight failures and huge inequalities and crimes. A good school acknowledges them, owns them and puts every effort into ensuring that the ugliness never happens again. Even if that means being honest about their own culpability and inadequacies. Even if it means dismissal or police involvement.
A bad school tries to hide, tells lies, hides evidence, protects the guilty and shifts the blame.

Badgers5 Thu 24-Jan-13 08:35:54

Bambisalive Thu 24-Jan-13 09:33:24

I cannot believe that as soon as someone wants to write something that doesn't defend but merely asks to wait for the other side of the story, or some positive memory they had of the school, they get torn a new one by people who know nothing of the school. It is truly repulsive behaviour.
Also may I add that it was a tribunal, so only one side published their report. If you were on a jury, you could not convict someone after only having heard one side. So why do it in this instance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now