Harry Potter Studio Tour

(24 Posts)
bekind Tue 04-Sep-12 14:22:36

Who has been? How do you rate it? We're planning on visiting in October so would love any top tips for our day out. Are there ever any discount vouchers or money saving deals available? Many thanks if you can help

Bookbrain Tue 04-Sep-12 14:28:09

We've been - two families, four boys of 8 and 6.

Visually, it's stunning. And there's lots of very interesting stuff about how the HP films were made, especially about the special effects. I think ours were probably a bit young and a bit too excited for it. There's a treasure-hunt type activity for children to do so of course they went haring off to collect the stamps in their booklet and hardly glanced at the amazing detail in the sets. I think it's probably better for slightly older children. If you take your time to look at everything, you'd get your money's worth. For us, maybe not so much - we were in and out in 2 hours.

It's one way only so once you move on, you can't go back. The cafe at the entrance is pretty good, but you can't get to it while you're on the tour, so plan your day to ensure that your kids aren't hungry halfway round. There's a small snack bar inside the tour and you can buy Butter Beer for £2.75 or something a glass. Tip: get one glass to share, then amaze your kids by serving them Cream Soda with food colouring in when you get home (as that i what it is).

PollyLogos Tue 04-Sep-12 14:39:44

I went in the summer with my daughter. We loved it! I totally agree that it is more interesting for older children especially those like my daughter who's 21 as she 'grew up' with the books.

We were actually inside for 4 hours there is so much to see. I came away amazed and fascinated about the whole process of turning a book into a film!

LemonEmmaPippedAtThePost Tue 04-Sep-12 14:46:20

We went in July with our two boys - aged 9 and 5. The 9 YO loves the books and films so thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The younger one has seen some of the films, so enjoyed the trip but was a bit bored. We ended up giving him our camera and he enjoyed taking lots of random photos. They both enjoyed getting the stamps in their books, and spotting the Snitches that are hidden around the place. The model of Puking Pastilles was a particularly enjoyed by the boys....

twentyten Tue 04-Sep-12 16:59:34

Went in august.Excellent but pricy!Getting there early and eating is ve worthwhile-even with timed tickets there is a queue.
Audio guide was excellent for fans-dd(14) loved it. Shop at end is v pricy and busy.

Groovee Mon 17-Sep-12 21:44:41

We're just back. Both kids are HP daft. Both loved their audio guides and dd loved flying the broomstick for a picture.

You could take a picnic or arrive for an afternoon tour early and have lunch in the cafe.

Gift shop is very expensive. But it was a fabulous day.

tribpot Mon 17-Sep-12 21:47:37

We have tickets for next month - super excited about this.

The last thread about it has some links to the previous ones, if you see what I mean.

bekind Tue 18-Sep-12 10:22:20

thank you very much all, I'll certainly put some thought into timing, and how that fits in with food; its always difficult slowing kids down enough to absorb 'stuff' so thanks for pointing out its only one way

serin Sat 29-Sep-12 18:08:32

The picture deal is good value, 4 for £20! and they are very good quality, don't be put off by queues, they move quickly.

Buy the sew on badges and make your own robes (instead of forking out £75!

Anyone who's already been - will I be hexed for bringing in my own snacks?

I'm taking my DD for her 10th birthday just before Christmas and the only suitable time is midday - if I bought a bit of food in a bag with me, would they tell me off?!

MummyPigandDaddyPig Tue 02-Oct-12 11:07:08

No probs you can eat your picknick at the halfway cafe outside. No eating inside if I remember rightly. Cafe is covered and i would assume they would have heaters in winter, would be stupid not to with the £££ they are raking in!smile enjoy!

Thanks - good plan - will do!

Mama1980 Tue 02-Oct-12 21:55:33

I took ds 4 and dd 14 both loved it. We were in there for over 3 hours easily enough to keep 4 year old entertained. Would say its worth queuing for the photos good Fun and quality plus the queue looked awful but really moved fast. There is also a photo thing in the shop. Well worth the money in my opinion but give yourself plenty of time. Oh and the butter beer stuff you buy halfway round was hated by all of us though was fun to try smile

sassytheFIRST Tue 02-Oct-12 21:56:52

Going on Saturday do watching this thread with interest

Hulababy Tue 02-Oct-12 22:07:39

I took 10y DD in July. She is a huge HP fan and she loved it. I enjoyed it also. Think our tour was about 1pm but we got there early and had lunch and then went in a bit early too.

The beginning bit is a fantastic entrance to the tour. DD really felt like she was joining Hogwarts at that moment.

For a fan there is so much to see - all the stuff from the films there to look at.

DD did queue for about 45 minutes for the green screen experience - not cheap for the photos though - £15 for one but then only £3 more for 2 pictures.

HP at end has everything a fan might want. Not cheap but same prices as most "proper" branded stuff and similar prices to in Florida.

Courtyard in middle of tour lets you buy Butterbeer - a must imo. It tastes very much like American Cream Soda but with froth on top smile
You can also stand on or sit in the knight bus, weasley's car and Hagrid/Black's motorbike.

We left about 6ish - so spent a good while there.

Uppermid Mon 22-Oct-12 20:59:51

Took my mum for her 61st birthday. We also took dd's (8 and 6). We all loved it, so much to see, great for young and old.

Makes you realise how a film can cost so many millions!

morfamawddach Thu 01-Nov-12 21:47:42

We went for my DD's 12th birthday treat and we LOVED it. The sets and props are eye watering in their detail and inventiveness. We stayed five hours and could easily have stayed longer. We ate at the little cafe half way round the tour. Food was basic...sandwiches enlivened by Butterbeer which was really fun to try. The shop is an attraction in its own right because it is stuffed with very high quality goodies but it is VERY expensive. Keyrings were £8 and a small box of chocolate frogs (150g) was £7.95. That was a shame, I thought, because there was really nothing to be had for pocket money prices. The tour itself, though, was absolutely brilliant. Would recommend arriving early because you can visit the shop while you're waiting for your pre booked tour time to start...and the shop does take some inspection.

JackieLanaTurn Thu 01-Nov-12 21:55:22

We have just tried to book and they don't have any slots til December! Will try to book via Superbreak though, as they seem to have tickets.

Just waiting for my daughter's friend's mum to get in touch and confirm the dates are all a-ok and she's o.k. with me driving down and we'll be there!! Desperate to go down and see this. More so after reading this thread I have to say smile

mummytime Thu 01-Nov-12 22:13:26

Tickets do sometimes come up through cancellations of extra releases.
We went at the end of the holidays, me and kids (9, 13 and 16). We spent about 4 hours, and did spend a lot of time looking at things, they loved the passports and finding the snitches. There are only a couple of places you can't double back, and one of those doors the nice people did let us back as we'd missed an answer to a question.
The most amazing sights have to include a range of Jumpers for Daniel Radcliffe in the last film, different sizes as he grew and differing degrees of wear as he lived rough. The great Hall is amazing.
I actually thought it was worth the money, which I don't think about some attractions.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Nov-12 10:04:59

Lovely to read all these reviews - we actually only have one review of the Studio Tour over in our Family Days Out section - would be great if some of you would pop on over there and post yours there too.

sandiegoprestigeride68 Wed 07-Nov-12 10:33:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Top tip: Raise your hand when they ask if it's anyones birthday. wink

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Tue 27-Nov-12 12:23:33

Any recommendations on where to eat in the evening, following the tour? We're staying in Watford- Holiday Inn I think.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 27-Nov-12 12:42:02

L'artista on watford high street. It's Italian, lots of good food for your money, pretty tasty and they love kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now