Join Gillian Flynn to discuss February's Book of the Month, Gone Girl, Tuesday 26 February, 9-10pm

(197 Posts)

What is your most memorable whoa-I-didn't-expect-that moment? The Sixth Sense or The Usual Suspects finale? That naked bit in The Crying Game? Or maybe the midway point in Sarah Waters' Fingersmith? Our February book of the month is about to take its place in the pantheon of all-time greatest plot twisters.

GONE GIRL is an intelligent, astute, darkly witty thriller about a marriage. About two people, Nick and Amy, who think they know each other. On the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary, with presents waiting and the annual treasure hunt ready to begin, Amy has disappeared. The police arrive, the media seizes hungrily on the story and Nick soon finds himself the main suspect.

A modern-day Patricia Highsmith, Gillian Flynn makes you squirm with horror yet keeps you riveted. As Kate Atkinson said: "I have no doubt that in a year's time I'm going to be saying that this is my favourite novel of 2012. Brilliant."

You can find more detail on our February book of the month page. Get your paperback or Kindle edition here.

And don't miss Gillian's sharply written website.

We are thrilled that Gillian will be joining us to discuss the book and answer any questions about GONE GIRL and her writing career on Tuesday 26 February, 9-10pm. Hope you can join us...

jennywren, sorry about the library wait, and that you didn't get a free copy this time - it'll be a shame not to have you. If you do find a cheap copy somewhere (I think WHSmith are selling it v cheap as its a Richard and Judy book too) then I just want to reassure you that you'd get through it v quickly, am certain you'd finish before the webchat on 26th. It is the kind of book you race through.

HellesBelles396, excellent question, I had exactly the same thought. Although I do feel sometimes, in a lot of fiction, the dysfunctional parenting is there to explain away the nastier character traits, rather than let a character be evil all by themselves, as it were. Would be interesting to create a person who didn't have any sort of childhood reason for being dysfunctional. Or maybe that's impossible?

jennywren123 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:55:11

Tilly, you are tempting me now. I'm near a WHSmith tomorrow, I'll see if they have it!!!

gazzalw Sat 09-Feb-13 10:15:55

Haven't finished it yet but what I am getting is that David Lynch feeling again....the glossy veneer of America with a very, very dark underbelly! Except it's all in one person!!!! I can definitely see this one as a film...

CuriousMama Sat 09-Feb-13 11:59:25

Picked up mine from the library today and will start it tomorrow smile

CuriousMama Sat 09-Feb-13 12:01:55

I meant tonight, why did I say tomorrow? confused

jennywren123 Sun 10-Feb-13 16:21:50

Got mine now. 16 days left to read it. Roast dinner to cook and then I'll start.

CuriousMama Sun 10-Feb-13 18:30:33

I read it last night, got it yesterday from the library. I stayed awake all night and have finished it now blush Great read, loved it.

jennywren123 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:48:51

Oh, my word! In one night! Couldn't start mine last night. Left my glasses in the car and it was too cold to go and get them by the time I realised . . . . .

gazzalw Tue 12-Feb-13 08:12:48

This is definitely a case of "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". I do love a thriller where all is not as it seems and just love the very stark contrast twixt the perfect fairy tale Amy and the darker and more complex reality which is hidden beneath her All-American apple-pie image and beauty.

My question, Gillian is this: you have painted the starkest picture of the disintegration of a love-affair from heady perfect romance, to simmering tensions, to the pure hatred and rage which culminates in such a twisted form of vengeance. I definitely thought that of David Lynch as I read your novel - this idea of things not being at all as they seem on the perfect surface. Are you personally that cynical about love and relationships?

Lumley36 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:22:21

Am a third of the way through and it's very put down able , I don't think about it between reads, is there a point where I won't be able to put it down?? Hope so, got a couple of child free reading one pLanned on thurs...hope I'm not disappointed......

gazzalw Tue 12-Feb-13 16:02:53

Lumley36 I personally think that if you are of a certain age and have read thrillers like "Presumed Innocent" you are not going to be overwhelmed by the 'twist'

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 00:41:42

Would love to join this one, but I can't get the book out of the library until March :-( There must be a lot of MN book club members near me!

jennywren123 Wed 13-Feb-13 03:01:15

Same here gaelic. Picked mine up from Tesco though for £3.85.

gaelicsheep Thu 14-Feb-13 20:44:59

Thanks very much to a kind Mumsnetter I now have a copy of this book. There's quite a lot of book to get through by the 26th, but I'll give it a go!

Lumley36 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:59:33

Wel I've just finished it, finally became unputdownable. Good book and was raving about it...then came the disappointing ending, boooo!

difficultpickle Sun 17-Feb-13 18:54:45

Just finished it and really thought it was poorly written and incredibly contrived. It reminded me of a very poor John Grisham novel (and I don't rate JG).

Made me realise just how amazing was the book I read before this one - The Snow Child - a story that will stay with me forever, unlike this one. At least Gone Girl is a quick, easy read.

gazzalw Mon 18-Feb-13 10:07:16

I see where you are coming from, Bisjo...I kept thinking 'Presumed Innocent' as I read it. I just knew that I was not going to be 'stung' by the twist as I was with Scott Trurow's novel - but then I was considerably younger back then and new to this type of thriller genre. I can't help but think that when you've been a fully fledged adult for a good few decades, it does really take something a bit special to surprise and delight and knock the jaded/been-there-done-that spots off.

Lumley36 Mon 18-Feb-13 15:03:05

Haven't read presumed innocent, was it made IMO a film? Have an image of Harrison Ford clinging on the edge of a cliff, am I getting muddled? Any way....

gazzalw Mon 18-Feb-13 15:06:51

Harrison Ford was in it (he was the lawyer who was accused of murdering his mistress) - not sure about the hanging off the edge of a cliff bit though! Think Greta Scacchi (not sure about that spelling?) played the mistress? Ring any bells...It might be that you were too young to have seen it when it came out (very late 80s or very, very early 90s?)

I'm reading this at the moment, will try to get it done by tomorrow

Oh a weeek tomorrow

I'm about halfway (just past the turning point iyswim?) And enjoying it so far. There are other similar books out there but I'd argue this is one of the better,so far.

jennywren123 Mon 18-Feb-13 15:16:49

Not just me who was hurrying to finish it for tomorrow then? Was pleased with myself for finishing it in time, then realised I've got another week before the web chat!

gazzalw Mon 18-Feb-13 15:27:36

At least it's read though, Jennywren123!

katb1973 Mon 18-Feb-13 21:33:19

I finished this quite quickly and found it very readable though at times a bit contrived. I also found the ending a bit of a let down, too simple after all the twists and turns. An interesting, readable book....enjoyable but no literary giant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now