Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

August 2013 Part 3 - Adventures in the second trimester!

(989 Posts)
FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 17:46:22

Thanks for the new fred Foof I'm hoping my adventures include an end to Hyperemesis! Really missing my own bed and pillows (what is it with hospitals being so uncomfortable to sleep in?)

I'm 15 + 1 so in less than 5 weeks I'll be half way there. Yay!

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 19:02:17

It's great that you are being so positive still despite feeling I am sure like utter crud waves any idea how long you'll be in for this time round?

Yvonney Wed 06-Feb-13 19:14:54

Mayanbob - my scan date is Valentine's day, I think its Mrswasj who doesn't have a date yet x
Midwife phoned me this afternoon as she forgot to bring birth notes from my DS to my house this morning. She went over everything and why it had ended up being a forceps delivery. It actually made me feel better abt what happened and not so scared for this time! smile

Yvonney Wed 06-Feb-13 19:15:34

ps take care Waves x thanks

JollyRedGiant Wed 06-Feb-13 19:17:16

Well done, Foof. Just signing in. Only 38 hours to go until my first scan. Thank goodness. Can't cope with waiting any longer.

JollyRedGiant Wed 06-Feb-13 19:17:41

11+5

Hope you feel better soon waves smile

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 06-Feb-13 19:21:07

Foof, thanks for the new thread!

cloth nappies; we use them part time with DS (smartipants brand, popper outer & a cloth insert, useless for a beanpole newborn, didn't use them until 3 months), no matter what configuration we use they're not good enough to get through a night, so he has disps at night.
We do tumble dry them, but they do seem to air dry quite quickly.
I know you can buy 'eco' disps (never tried them, will for next one), but you can buy biodegradable wipes & nappy sacks, so you can use non-reuseables without the guilt, I use reuseable wipes (cheap flannels).
If you're going down the cloth nappy route, check with your local council if they do discounts, Real Nappies for London [http://www.realnappiesforlondon.org.uk/ website]] have a list of meets & tell you if you're eligible for a voucher (in my case it's £40! hurrah).

waves, there is nothing comfortable about a hospital bed. I really hope you're out asap...what's the longest you've had hyperemesis for?

Mayan, good luck tomorrow! I'll join you with the terrified & excited all at once, I think there is one/two more scanees tomorrow? Good luck to whomever it is <babybrain>

We've not had sex since finding out I was pg, mc last time & slight spotting earlier in pg means we're waiting until tomorrow...hopefully it's all good news & we can celebrate with what got us here in the first place grin

13+4

Depressingly, I had HG til birth with DD although it lessened in gravity the last 16 weeks. Still hoping for an earlier end this time! ( less weight to lose after though, silver linings or something?)

Thanks for the new thread Foof
Waves hope you are doing ok thanks

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 06-Feb-13 19:28:20
Ditsy79 Wed 06-Feb-13 19:28:25

waves hope you are feeling loads better very soon.
Just wanted opinions on something. My boss knows I'm pregnant, I told her quite early on - I'm now 14+1. Anyway she phoned me today and said that we need to fill in the maternity paperwork for HR tomorrow, so I Ned to decide when I'll be going on mat leave. I think it's far too early for me to make that decision, I would rather wait until after the 20-week scan. I don't want to be tied to something further down the line. It's my 1st child, so I don't know how I will be later on in the pregnancy. I know she's trying to get cover sorted out, but do you think she can expect me to commit to dates this early on? Feeling a bit stressed now as I am meeting her tomorrow, and know she will try and push me into things. Any ideas/advice on how to handle the situation?!

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 19:43:25

As far as I know/have read, you don't have to give them your intentions til week 25 of pregnancy? You don't get your MATB1 form anyway till 20-22 weeks.

I am a cleaner which is obviously rather physical, so although am hoping to get to 35 weeks, will take it as it comes, my employers are friends of ours so I would imagine that as long as I give them a rough estimate, and then if I need to finish early, a weeks notice, then I should be ok.

We were looking into OH taking paternity leave for a week or two - no sad as he'd only get £135 each of those weeks we cannot afford that, he'll have to dip into his holiday allowance and only take a couple of days off. What's the point of offering them time off if they cannot really afford to do it? sad

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 19:45:04
Boosiehs Wed 06-Feb-13 19:45:43

That's annoying foof

Sorry to hear you're so sickly waves. sad

RugBugs Wed 06-Feb-13 19:53:14

Thanks to foof for the new thread.

Ditsy The way it worked in my former (public sector) workplace was that women tended to say they'd work up to 38 weeks. If they then struggled before this mw/dr would sign them off sick and their maternity leave kicked in automatically if it was beyond a certain point.
It's not as inflexible as it seems.

Good luck to those with scans tomorrow, I will admit I barely slept last night. I would put up a pic if I had the energy to get out the laptop. We got a great nub shot but I can't quite make out the angle.

Mayanbob Wed 06-Feb-13 19:54:36

Oh gosh. Sorry yvonney and MrsWasj for muddle. massive babybrain/ scan anxiety.

On the sex subject... I too am abstinent but that's because i've been too scared to do anything. Hopefully feel better after tomorrow.

Take care all. Sorry i'm la-la

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 19:54:37

Nub??

Ditsy79 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:11:49

Thanks for the info, and the link foof
I thought I didn't have to make a decision until 25 weeks, so I'll just tell her that tomorrow. She's bound to see her arse about it, but that's not my problem!

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 20:15:50

Nope, tis the law smile

RugBugs Wed 06-Feb-13 21:09:16

Foof I think the nub is the developing external genetalia, anything at an angle of +35 degrees to a straight spine is meant to be a boy. Supposedly a 95% accuracy rate at 13 weeks.
Measured mine and its 40 degrees, managed to get a pic on profile and the nub is the bright white bit at the rump.

RuckAndRoll Wed 06-Feb-13 21:13:51

just checking in on the new thread. I've been reading but not commenting as I'm off sick still and feeling really rough.

got my scan on Friday so concentrating on getting past that smile

13+some!

blondecat Wed 06-Feb-13 22:14:06

Just checking in on the new thread

Bean still hanging on smile

Hot coco and marshmallows all around. And ginger tea for all still suffering nausea

DaveMccave Wed 06-Feb-13 22:34:16

Checking in too. Dating scan tomorrow at 11! Not so nervous since I've been feelin non stop flutters since yesterday, either this baby is very active or I have serious digestive problems! Good luck to everyone else with a scan tomorrow.

Stopsittingonyoursister Wed 06-Feb-13 22:47:23

Ditsy the due dates we all have at the moment is +/- 5 days accuracy and you don't get your MATB1 until the 20 week scan in my area, so it is really impossible to give any firm dates until then.

With my work, I have given them a rough idea of when I expect to go off on mat leave (end of July, due date 1.8.13) but I will have around 3 or 4 weeks of holiday due to take which means that actually I won't be at work for most if not all of July. However, I haven't given any formal indications yet.

I think (from memory) how it works is that you have to give them your intentions for mat leave by 25 weeks, but if you are subsequently off sick for a pregnancy related reason any time after 28 weeks, then your employer can automatically start your maternity leave at that time. At the other end, I think you just have to give your employer 28 days notice of your intention to return. Your employer's HR department should be able to give you a copy of your maternity policy.

foof rubbish about your DP's paternity leave, I hope he gets something sorted out.

blonde glad you are still with us!

mayanbob good luck tomorrow with your scan. Congrats to those with good scans today and yesterday!

Hang on in there, waves, sending non-vom vibes to you.

oxford very pleased to hear that all is well, I love Isabella Oliver stuff, just trying to find a reason to buy more maternity clothes this time round when technically I have everything I could possibly need....

Real nappies - we tried them with DS1 and hated them with a passion. We used the little lamb nappies. Very good in terms of absorbency but difficult to wash (had to wash the inner nappy and the outer waterproof bits separately to stop fluff getting in the velcro), and either spend a fortune on tumble drying or sat with wet nappies on every available radiator trying to get them dry. However, the thing I hated about them most was that they didn't fit under any of DS's trousers. He had to wear the next size up trousers just to get over the nappy which were then too long for him in the leg, and they were so bulky that they stopped him rolling and he never crawled. And he looked so fat on all his baby photos, and it was just the nappies! Didn't use them with DD and she crawled everywhere, and it was just so much less faff, tbh. So disposables all the way for me this time round I'm afraid.

Hope all those still feeling sick get better soon, and we can all get on with this supposed glow...

14+6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now