to think frozen mashed potatoes are perfectly reasonable?

(251 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:33:47

Busy day, casserole slow cooking all day so we could just come home and eat. I bought some frozen mash the other week for the first time so thought that would compliment the casserole for a quick and easy dinner.

Dh came home and you'd have thought I'd suggested eating mashed worms, the face he pulled. He declined, on the grounds it would be rank and made himself some chips to go with his casserole instead.

Ds's and I ate the mash, it was lovely and creamy, and not the food of the devil as he'd implied. He wouldn't even try it!

My frozen veg has only included peas and corn on the cob until now. But for 80p a bag (of which we only needed half of) and 5 minutes in the microwave I declare frozen mash is the future.

Aibu?

ThonHoor Wed 13-Feb-13 18:35:52

YABVU. I would point blank refuse to eat it too.

Frozen mash?? <pukes>

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:37

He kept saying 'smash is disgusting' to which I replied, yes it is, this is not smash!'

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:43

I buy frozen mash from Waitrose, the little pellet things (yes I am making that sound so appealing...) mainly because DS likes mash with every dinner. I CBA to cook mash every day so I ordered some of this and it is... nice! Honestly, it is. But why wouldn't it be?! You can make mash and freeze it yourself and the ingredients list is pretty much potato, butter, milk.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:45

Frozen mash is great, its lump free

Frozen mash????? <faints>

I have never heard of frozen mash, it sounds as bad as frozen roast potatoes or that disgusting smash stuff.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 13-Feb-13 18:38:08

Yeah Smash is vile. It has the consistency of wallpaper paste.

ArtemisiaGentileschisThumb Wed 13-Feb-13 18:39:27

YABVU smash is lovely

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:39:28

Yeah these were in little pellets, 2 mins in the nuker, fluff up and add milk then another 3 minutes.

NatashaBee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:39:46

I like frozen mash, nice and creamy, and i can never get proper mash smooth. I would have inserted a potato masher up his backside if he complained grin

NatashaBee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:40:04

*not frozen mash, i meant the instant mash stuff.

KatoPotato Wed 13-Feb-13 18:40:27
Suttyshotty Wed 13-Feb-13 18:40:40

My DS loves mash so I make a whole load in one go, portion it up and freeze it. I've never tried to reheat it from frozen but defrosted and reheated it's perfectly fine.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:40:46

I would have but the masher was sitting off duty in the drawer!

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:04

I've always liked fresh stuff but when doing a snowy shop Aldi were out of potatoes and i didn't have time to go elsewhere so i brought some frozen roasts. I didn't tell the family, they all liked the extra crispy ones!

I prefer the idea of fresh generally but for the odd occasion frozen is good. I wouldn't tell DH because he might have screwed his face up too.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:08

I freeze left over mash to top shepherd's pie with but haven't bought frozen mash yet because I am too tight fisted

FellatioNels0n Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:40

I am very picky about food when it comes to quality and authenticity, but I swear by frozen mash, especially Aunt Bessie's. I cannot say this loudly enough: the ingredients are potatoes, milk, butter, salt, pepper. Exactly the same as it should be, when homemade. It's foolproof, delicious and easy. The only thing you must remember is not to over-heat/microwave it so it dries out. I usually add a slug more milk and a blob more of butter just to be on the safe side.

ThonHoor Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:52

I am genuinely aghast.

My Irish brain can't comprehend why you would do that to a poor wee innocent spud?? shock <clutches rosary beads>

Also. Smash = satan's spunk.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:42:45

AH but she also advocates tinned mince, even if it is m&s I draw the line there!

PoppyWearer Wed 13-Feb-13 18:43:19

The Waitrose pellety frozen mash is fab.

Facebaffle Wed 13-Feb-13 18:43:20

My mum lives alone and uses frozen mash - she loves it.

Anyone wanting smooth, creamy mash needs a potato ricer - it's fab.

FellatioNels0n Wed 13-Feb-13 18:44:24

Smash idsvile, I agree. But it is no match for decent frozen mash. There is no comparison. It's like Lambrusco versus Dom Perignon. grin

FellatioNels0n Wed 13-Feb-13 18:44:41

is vile

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:44:48

Dh is usually chief masher, he does lovely smooth and creamy real mash, I think he feels threatened.

FellatioNels0n Wed 13-Feb-13 18:45:39

I have a potato ricer and it's brilliant, so much better than a masher. But for nights when time is of the essence you can't beat frozen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now