. . . to feel a bit pissy about giving someone's kid a lift

(104 Posts)
spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 07:48:04

I offered as they have 2 smaller kids that were out in the cold at night for a 8 o clock pick up on foot. It's not out of my way but will make things a bit more hectic than usual! Just became aware they are rather proud themselves in a hippy type way for managing without a car and actually, compared to myself, are very well off. I will still do it, and not a biggy, but do you think if people are all preachy about not having a car or the expense that goes with it, they should accept lifts ?

Uppermid Mon 11-Feb-13 07:50:36

Get a grip. You either want to help or not. If you don't, don't make the offer

CailinDana Mon 11-Feb-13 07:53:31

Well you did offer. It would be different if they were asking around for lifts all the time.

TallulahTwinkle Mon 11-Feb-13 07:53:45

I think people shouldn't offer lifts if it makes them feel pissy.

YABU.

zookeeper Mon 11-Feb-13 07:55:04

Well YABU but I would feel the same smile

AngryBeaver Mon 11-Feb-13 07:56:31

If they are "proud" of themselves in a saving the environment way, then their child getting in your car would make no difference as you were going anyway. Same goes for cost- none for them.
I think either you offer to be nice. Or you don't.
It was kind of you to offer. Just go with that.

drownangels Mon 11-Feb-13 07:58:12

Yabu.
Pointless post. Why offer and then moan?

Jinsei Mon 11-Feb-13 07:58:17

FFS - you offered!! If you don't want to give them a lift, don't ask if they want one. YABVU!

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 08:01:37

Why are some people so bloody petty .don't offer a lift next time if you are going to be all pissy about it.

Yabu-You offered, so you made the decision to help them out.
Why do it, if you feel so strongly about them keeping a car?blush

Fwiw i don't have a car, they are toi expensive to keep and due to my age & the fact i would be a first time driver, the insurance would be astronomical- But i'm no hippy, infact far from itgrin
But if someone offered me a lift i would jump at the chancesmile

greenfolder Mon 11-Feb-13 08:05:07

hold on
you offered
you were going anyway
no extra cost to you
they no doubt had a plan to pick them up anyway

if you are going to do something nice, be nice about it
that is all

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 08:20:59

They are always asking for lifts and saying their kids were freezing having to walk in the snow

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 08:26:09

And i actually offered cos i presumed they were hard up. . Now they are posting stuff about the cost to the environment and our children's future through making unecessary car journeys. .

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 08:28:48

Pumpkin. . You miss the point. . Are you preachy and evangelical about not driving?

IDontDoIroning Mon 11-Feb-13 08:34:09

They made the decision not to have a car therefore they shouldn't be precious about their kids walking and getting freezing cold etc.
If someone offers fine but they shouldn't be always asking for lifts.
Would they repay a favour some other way seeing as they can't reciprocate with lifts?

Ragwort Mon 11-Feb-13 08:40:54

I understand why you feel a bit pissy about it, and it is possible to still feel pissy yet carry on doing someone a favour grin. It's a bit like people (& there are plenty on mumsnet!) who say they are not 'PTA types', too busy/important for that sort of thing yet fully expect their children to still receive the benefits of PTA fund raising.

I just think you are being very honest to admit it smile.

I give my DS's friends lifts every week to various activities because in their own words their parents 'can't be bothered'. Yes, I do feel a bit pissy about it but don't want the children to miss out, perhaps I am being evangelical about helping others grin.

ENormaSnob Mon 11-Feb-13 08:44:01

Don't offer in future then.

Sounds like its the parents attitude that's pissing you off rather than the lift itself?

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 09:24:12

Yes it is their attitude that offends... There is probably an analogy to be made about vegetarians and BBQ's. Maybe i am just evangelical about feeling pissy. . .

Tulahoob Mon 11-Feb-13 09:26:47

It would depend on their attitude:

If their attitude was 'We don't have a car, we are environmentally friendly and far superior to you. You are scum for having a car. We look down at you. Oh by the way can you give little India a lift home from Brownies?' I would be pissy!

If they just don't have a car and don't make a big superior statement about it and you offered to pick up their child then I wouldn't be pissy

Booyhoo Mon 11-Feb-13 09:29:44

why would there be an anaolgy about vegetarians? confused

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 09:33:22

It doesn't have to be vegetarians. . Could be someone who goes on about the evils of tobacco companies yet bums your marlboro lite

seeker Mon 11-Feb-13 09:34:20

So you offered the lift. They didn't ask for it. And you're pissy about it? Jesus wept- how mean spirited can you get! angry

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 09:35:27

Why offer if you resent it? Personally I'd be glad to give someone a lift if it meant them not hanging around in the snow but then I'm always stunned about what people get annoyed about on MN.

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 09:35:57

X posted with seeker

HeathRobinson Mon 11-Feb-13 09:36:13

<fails to work out vegetarian/BBQ analogy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now