Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Proposals - how was yours?

(177 Posts)
weeredcar Tue 08-Jul-14 09:55:26

This question was on a local FB page and I love reading other people's stories about how they got engaged.

My ex H proposed on my birthday and put the ring box in a Christmas cracker (my birthday is close to Christmas). I would love to know where my rings are now (he insisted I leave them when we split up).

ElleMcFearsome Tue 08-Jul-14 10:09:15

I accidentally proposed to DP (as he was then) after we'd been together for 6 weeks and were going away on holiday. We were old enough and experienced enough to know that we were 'serious' but even so, it had only been 6 weeks...

We were in bed, the night before we flew out, I got up to go to the loo and as I left the room, out of my mouth came 'you are going to marry me, aren't you?'

I stood in the bathroom, rooted with horror, with prickly armpits of shame, unable to believe what I'd said, certain that he was, at that moment, wondering how on earth he could get out of the holiday, change his phone numbers and never see me again. Eventually, I had to go back to the bedroom expecting to see him vanishing out of the window using curtains as a escape rope where he was completely relaxed and grinning and he said, 'I thought we should spend a week together first, but I was going to mention something similar when we got back'

We got married and year and a week from the day we met, and remain very happy!

Olbas Tue 08-Jul-14 10:35:36

In a riverside car park. We were sitting in my car waiting for a huge storm to stop and he just suddenly came out with " Will you Marry me". Totally out of the blue.

HillyHolbrook Tue 08-Jul-14 10:37:20

He lay me out a nice outfit on the bed whilst I was in the shower, which is code for 'Dress nice, we're going out to lunch/on a date' so I got dressed and sat at the dressing table to get ready and as I was, he came and sat on the bed behind me for a chat, talking to me in the mirror as I did my makeup, and he pulled the ring out from behind him and just opened the box to me in the mirror. My jaw just totally dropped grin

I thought he was taking me to lunch to celebrate. He'd actually had me get dressed up because he had our family and best friends in on it, and I was attending my own engagement party at a cute country pub. He says if I'd said no it would have been his pity party insteadwink

Showy Tue 08-Jul-14 10:41:12

We were in bed. It was 7am and dh was chattering. I was in that fuzzy, probably dropping back to sleep state. I realised he'd stopped talking and was looking at me expectantly. I went with what was likely and assumed he'd offered a cup of tea and gladly accepted. DH looked slightly crestfallen and a lot suspicious and explained he'd just proposed.

So, I missed it.

elQuintoConyo Tue 08-Jul-14 10:42:39

While enjoying a pretty fantastic shag grin

Been together 16 years, married 4.

elQuintoConyo Tue 08-Jul-14 10:43:47

shock grin Showy ^^

Mrsgrumble Tue 08-Jul-14 10:46:43

We got engaged in the Vatican on Rome after mass with the pope. A bit different to yours showy grin

Best day of my life and totally unexpected.

Mrsgrumble Tue 08-Jul-14 10:46:55

On Rome?

mrsleomcgary Tue 08-Jul-14 10:47:49

1am, lying in bed drinking a cup of tea. No ring as he panicked about getting it wrong. And it was absolutely perfect!

Mrsgrumble Tue 08-Jul-14 10:48:24

I meant Quino ... I need to go back to bed!

olaflikeswarmhugs Tue 08-Jul-14 10:52:10

Dh proposed to me at the Trevi Fountain in Rome . It was pouring with rain so he didn't get down on one knee . I like to wind him up about it sometimes that he denied me the down on one knee proposal ! gringrin

mrsdicko90 Tue 08-Jul-14 10:52:39

In new York in a limo back to the airport. He had all the most romantic chances in the world that week, and he chose when we was heading home lol

sparkle101 Tue 08-Jul-14 10:57:27

Whilst dancing with me at works Christmas party. He "serenaded" me and then proposed. No down on one knee till I told him to do it again!

I hated that job and all the people there though!

PoirotsMoustache Tue 08-Jul-14 11:04:55

Just before taking me out for a Sunday breakfast. He came in the kitchen door with a big grin on his face, took a box out of his inside jacket pocket, got down on one knee and proposed.

I always thought I wanted a big romantic proposal in a restaurant (which is weird because I'm really not showy or romantic at all), but it turns out his way was perfect grin

leguminous Tue 08-Jul-14 11:06:30

On the treetop walkway at Kew Gardens. One knee and everything. It was fab. I went "um yes ok" or something like that and then wept all over his T-shirt.

bigTillyMint Tue 08-Jul-14 11:08:49

Showygrin

It was Christmas Day and we were in the Alps, out for a walk with our good friends. He was too embarrassed to ask them to walk ahead, so we got in the cars to go and he had to fake a problem with the wheel to get me to get back out and then he proposed!

No ring, of course - he doesn't do shopping!

Violetcloud Tue 08-Jul-14 11:10:56

I proposed to him with a photo of the ring as it hadn't bloody arrived. It was supposed to be romantic, but I panicked and just threw the photo at him. He said yes, in a slightly baffled manner. grin

Adikia Tue 08-Jul-14 11:20:40

grin 'I thought we should spend a week together first'

We were walking home, DH had been drinking all evening/night for a friends stag do, I had finished work at 6am (barmaid) and asked if they fancied a fry up, his friend said 'that's marriage material right there man' and DH looked at him and went 'good point' then he tripped over (he says he got on one knee but it definitely looked like tripping over to me) then slurred 'your the bestest, will you marry me?' so I told him he'd have to ask me again when he was sober. a couple of days later he bought a ring and woke me up with breakfast in bed with a rose and a ring in front of it on the tray and simply said 'i may have been drunk but I meant it'

TuckingFablet Tue 08-Jul-14 11:26:08

we went for a meal and dp was acting odd all evening. kept trying to hold my hand and then he disappeared to the loo for ages. he came back and stood staring at me for a while then got down on one knee. I, being the idiot that I am, thought he had dropped something so got down on the floor too wittering about him never being able to keep things in his hands. He told me very forcibly to sit back down and then popped the question. the waiter arrived with champagne and the whole restaurant clapped. a little old couple came over and congratulated us. I honestly had no idea he was going to propose!

weeredcar Tue 08-Jul-14 11:33:08

Aww, some lovely stories here. Mine was in a restaurant - I joke now that we were there with my family and I was cornered so I couldn't say no.....

To be fair to him, he did spend a lot of time choosing the ring - we had discussed it (what I'd like etc) but it was a shock at the time. He bought the ring 2 months beforehand.

vvviola Tue 08-Jul-14 11:37:54

DH did the whole trip to Paris, fancy restaurant, note in the dessert menu proposal. And I nearly ruined the whole thing because we nearly missed our dinner reservation because Ireland were beating England in rugby and I wanted to watch the end of the match so refused to leave the hotel, thinking we were only walking around the corner to a little pizzeria grin

We were at his cousins engagement party, had been together about 8 months. He said "we should do this", i said "okay". That was it.

Almost as romantic as the shotgun wedding grin

Tiredmumno1 Tue 08-Jul-14 11:46:43

Mine was a bit like a treasure hunt, it was christmas day many years ago, and I got a note in my card, I had to find all the other clues, and in the end I ended up looking in the xmas tree to find the ring box and another note with "will you marry me" on it, I turned around to find him on one knee with the ring smile

dashoflime Tue 08-Jul-14 11:48:52

We had a sensible discussion about where the relationship was going and what we both wanted from life and reached the conclusion that we should get married.
Don't really understand "proposals" to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now