Uggs - are they really that bad?

(276 Posts)

After a class war broke out on another completely unrelated thread, it came up that UGGs are considered a serious no-no on MN. I must confess to owning two pairs (one black and one brown) and as a WFHM I wear them all winter provided it is dry. They are the comfiest, warmest shoes I've ever had. They are like slippers but for outside! I don't wear them on the outside of my trousers, this is a look I don't like, but inside a boot leg I consider them harmless.

Am I deluding myself and walking around in the winter version of crocs?

noisytoys Wed 21-Nov-12 12:15:26

I love UGGs. But then I love crocs too grin

Vajazzler Wed 21-Nov-12 12:19:03

I personally dont have a problem with UGGs but then again i also love crocs too just like noisytoys
I do however hate fake cheap ugg where the soles disintegrate at funny angles and you end up walking behind someone who is dragging their feet along and walking wonky in them.

dexter73 Wed 21-Nov-12 12:31:56

I like my Uggs. I don't rely on MN to choose my clothes for me though! God only knows what I would end up wearing!

bishboschone Wed 21-Nov-12 12:37:40

I love my uggs , there is alot of snobbery surrounding them because people think they are better than you for not wearing them .!

2blessed Wed 21-Nov-12 12:41:58

I'm about to invest in my first pair of uggs after trying them on last week. They were absolute heaven and will help me greatly as I waddle along in my last few weeks of pregnancy...

dexter73 Wed 21-Nov-12 12:44:49

I break lots of the MN rules about what you are not allowed to wear -
Uggs - chavvy
Barbour quilted jacket - chavvy
Pandora style bracelet - chavvy
ankle boots - mumsy
denim mini - mumsy
skinny jeans - look like a parsnip
patterned/coloured tights - odd
Probably many more!

Djembe Wed 21-Nov-12 12:46:08

UGGs - fine.

But

Bootlegs??? shock

Djembe Bootleg jeans are the only ones I can wear and not look like a weeble!

I don't think UGGS are that bad. What we do have on Mumsnet is a dedicated and vocal support group for the better quality, cheaper and British made Celtic Sheepskin boot. Their website is hereThere are also great discounts if you can get to their factory shop in Newquay.

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 21-Nov-12 13:05:41

I personally think bootleg jeans are fine, they also look better on me than any other cut. But but but: UGGS inside them shock. Do you not look like you have weird clown feet???

bishboschone Wed 21-Nov-12 13:10:25

I sometimes wear my diesel jeans bunged inside my uggs with a hoody . It's not my best look but it's ok. Granted they are cool jeans and not your average bootcut mummy jeans but still.

MrsWolowitz Wed 21-Nov-12 13:13:22

I love my uggs. I'm wearing my tall chestnuts now.

<wiggles toes in glorious comfiness>

I'm wearing them with charcoal tights, a grey dress and charcoal cardi and brown MN scarf and I think I ok and certainly not 'chavvy'

Enjoy your uggs, you won't look back (buy a good protector spray).

MrsWolowitz Wed 21-Nov-12 13:14:14

Oh I also wear my tall chestnuts on the outside of my red skinny jeans and think it looks pretty cute.

I wear them and do not give a fig for MN disapproval grin They are toasty warm and somehow comforting. And (real ones) weirdly supportive considering they are flat.. I usually can't wear flats but my uggs are fine.

Then again I also wear a Barbour, think that NEXT is still fine for jeans and basics and would probably have Gok Wan sobbing into his hankerchief grin

UGG boots are amazing. 'Nuff said. grin

perceptionreality Wed 21-Nov-12 13:19:17

I have some. I don't think they are the most stylish thing ever, but they certainly are warm and well made. I've got the Bailey Button ones - I think they look a bit better.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Wed 21-Nov-12 13:21:04

Why does it matter what people inside your computer think?!

I've got several pairs of Uggs, my favourites being my grey slouch knitted ones.

squoosh Wed 21-Nov-12 13:43:06

Uggs- vile
Croccs - even more vile

ah but Squoosh... you need to go on a proper british camping holiday in August. Then you will BEG for crocs (showers, odd sunny spells) and Uggs (most of the time and probably to sleep in!) grin Only then can you appreciate their qualities!!

squoosh Wed 21-Nov-12 13:56:07

Don't they smell all . . . . . . . feety?

Startail Wed 21-Nov-12 13:58:44

UGGs look unbelievably hot.

They are fortunately such an obscene price I shall never find out if I'm right.

noisytoys Wed 21-Nov-12 14:00:47

I've got crocs, but instead of the regular holes they have little Mickey Mouse shaped holes grin

ConfusedandBemused Wed 21-Nov-12 14:15:29

Love uggs...don't see how they can be chavvy if they are soooo expensive?! Of course I would only wear the real ones...the fake do look a bit horrid, as they tend to bend in on themselves, if that makes sense. Well I will have very toasty feet this Christmas as my mom has bought me a lovely grey pair. My ds age 6 loves his pair and they look fab on him, he wears them with his brown corduroy dungarees and a little knitted jumper underneath and his wooly hat.....super cute and not in the least bit chavvy!!! Death stare!!!

QuickLookBusy Wed 21-Nov-12 14:42:36

I've got Kensington uggs and I love them. I do not give a rats arse what anyone on MN thinks.

The think is, when the weather is cold I'd much rather have my feet in a pair of warm solid uggs, than "fashionable" thin leather shoes/boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now