Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do I want in a relationship?

(12 Posts)
BelleDameSansMerci Wed 30-Jan-13 12:27:25

Odd question but I don't appear to know the answer...

Aside from the usual mutual respect, understanding, respect, love, consideration, equality, etc how do you define what makes a good relationship? GSOH? As they'd say in ye olden days of newspaper ads for match-making?

There is context in that I'm trying to determine if it's worth giving someone another chance but we've both agreed that we need to be certain we're at least starting from the place of understanding what the other one wants/needs.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 30-Jan-13 12:56:10

I think it's largely the same things that make for a good friendship. Effortlessness would be high on my list. Totally at ease with each other. Not having to try.... as the old shaving advert used to say.... too hard. I think, if you're at the stage of having to give someone a second chance, you're already in the arena of things being too self-conscious. Sorry.

caramelwaffle Wed 30-Jan-13 13:00:00

If it is the person I am thinking it is then I would say - for you to be their first consideration, and also fidelity (in all senses).

HotDAMNlifeisgood Wed 30-Jan-13 13:06:47

I was asking myself this yesterday, and decided that what I want from a potential partner is exactly what I have to offer him (kind, smart, fun, cute, available, solvent, no addictions, able to take care of my own emotional and physical needs, know my neuroses and have them well tamed). With the added requirement of being mutually attracted.

Is this person you're worried about up to the standards you keep for your own self?

caramelwaffle Wed 30-Jan-13 13:12:08

Really good point to think about Hot

BelleDameSansMerci Wed 30-Jan-13 14:01:43

Oooh, good points...

caramel - indeed!! Fidelity is top of the list.

I have no patience with the posts on here where people are bleating "but I looooove him" as an excuse to stay in a broken relationship. I think I may be doing that here. Although, in all honesty, I'm not entirely sure that I really am able to trust him and that's a big deal for me.

Hmmm.

BertieBotts Wed 30-Jan-13 14:08:23

You want to be a co-pilot - Read this, it's very good at putting into words that thing that you can't quite put your finger on, but it changed the way that I think about relationships.

BelleDameSansMerci Wed 30-Jan-13 14:15:18

Ooooh, I subscribe to Baggage Reclaim but haven't seen this. Thank you.

Charbon Wed 30-Jan-13 16:21:03

If fidelity with this particular man is top of the list, that suggests he's had difficulty with it before, either with you or others and possibly both. If that's true, then that suggests someone who can lie, deceive and behave very selfishly. So whereas fidelity is the headline, there is a subset of behaviours beneath it.

Be very cautious Belle and question yourself why you're considering him instead of a man with no form for those behaviours.

BelleDameSansMerci Wed 30-Jan-13 18:48:30

You're right, Charbon.

The more I consider this, the less it appeals.

BertieBotts Thu 31-Jan-13 20:10:05

It's an older one - used to be down the side. I find that her older stuff is very good because it's very basic bare bones stuff smile I love the co-piloting analogy!

BertieBotts Thu 31-Jan-13 20:10:17

linked down the side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now