Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is my card too soppy for 6 month boyfriend?

(24 Posts)
HooverPissingOutDust Tue 11-Dec-12 14:14:25

Posted this in AIBU but it fits better in here.

Basically the card says "to the one I love" on the front and inside is a verse saying with all my love at christmas and the days yet to be, thanks for all the happiness your love has given me"

Lovely - except we've only been together 6 months! don't wanna freak him out. We do have a close, loving relationship, spend 4 nights out of the week with one another and will be spending Christmas together but is the card a bit "I wanna boil your bunny"?

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 11-Dec-12 14:16:03

Have you actually said the L word yet? Both ways?

HooverPissingOutDust Tue 11-Dec-12 14:17:49

he did a while ago, whilst drunk hmm but never since.

izzyizin Tue 11-Dec-12 14:18:27

Some cards are designed to be turned to face the wall and it seems you've chosen one of them grin

Save it 2013 and buy something less gushing/more humorous for your first Christmas together.

WipsGlitter Tue 11-Dec-12 14:20:58

I'd freak out a bit if it was me...

Merrycuckingfistmas Tue 11-Dec-12 14:24:29

It's too soppy IMO but I'm not into all the lovey Dovey stuff anyway, I wouldn't send a card like that to my oh and we have been together 5 years.

I suppose if you feel like that then why not tell him? If he feels the same then it won't freak him out and if he doesn't feel he same then maybe he's not the one for you?

HooverPissingOutDust Tue 11-Dec-12 14:25:01

To put things into perspective - his card to me said

"to my wonderful girlfriend - I know dreams can come true, because I get to share my life with you" and inside a verse about making this christmas the best so far because nothing else is good enough for a girl loved as much as you are" he then wrote in himself a few sentances about how he feels he's known me for years and we have so many fond memories together etc etc

So ... does mine still sound OTT?

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 11-Dec-12 14:33:47

Do not send if you have not already made sober declarations of love.

sarahseashell Tue 11-Dec-12 14:39:04

I think so but his is a bit boak 'romantic' as well so why not grin

MerylStrop Tue 11-Dec-12 14:50:52

Will he not assume that you are taking the piss?

That is what DH would have done at that stage of the relationship

Can you not find something more toned down and write something sincere inside?

Merrycuckingfistmas Tue 11-Dec-12 15:33:50

Definately send it if that's what he sent to you, sounds like he's really into you.

TakeMyEyesButNotTheGoat Tue 11-Dec-12 15:36:53

You again OP?

Give us a break! grin

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Tue 11-Dec-12 15:39:50

Well, in as much as they are pre printed messages, they mean nothing, so go ahead.

DearJ0hn Tue 11-Dec-12 15:43:55

Ha ha ha

I can spot this poster a mile off

grin

HullyEastergully Tue 11-Dec-12 15:45:23

just no

there is never a good enough reason for anything like that

TakeMyEyesButNotTheGoat Tue 11-Dec-12 15:53:07

Me too DearJohn

Same threads over the last few days about the Xmas card.

Well at least its a change! grin

SorryMyCandyCaneLollipop Tue 11-Dec-12 16:04:04

Personally I hate anything that says "ALL my love" because it can't be true (unless you have absolutely no shred of love for any other human being in existence) so therefore it is insincere.

Both cards sound way too soppy I give it 3 months

And why has he given you your card so soon before Xmas when you see each other so often? confused

Mumofjz Tue 11-Dec-12 18:17:26

Why are you declaring love in a cared when you both can't say it
A - Sober
B - To each other
C - When doing the dirty deed
D - just in passing
E - JUST BECAUSE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mind boggling hmm

almapudden Tue 11-Dec-12 18:19:30

Well, it's too soppy for me and I've been with DP for almost four years. Caveat: the last birthday card I got him said CUNT on it. Nothing else, just CUNT.

sarahseashell Tue 11-Dec-12 20:43:04

hmm

Beaverfeaver Tue 11-Dec-12 23:15:29

That's far too soppy for me to send to my DH!

HooverPissingOutDust Thu 13-Dec-12 09:29:56

I've put it away for next year and bought him a more toned down one. Glad I did really, I cringe at the thought of giving him it now lol

twinklesparkles Thu 13-Dec-12 12:59:38

Sounds like he's really into you

Maybe the reason he hasn't said it sober is because you didn't respond when he had a drink? Yeh he was drunk but the truth does tend to come out when people are pissed smile

Think your card sounds lovely to send

alicetrefusis Thu 13-Dec-12 22:52:01

Very very bad taste. Glad you had a re-think!
Write something genuine - don't rely on hallmark to do the thinking for you. Send something funny instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now