James Herbert has passed away

(10 Posts)
FayKnights Wed 20-Mar-13 18:11:54

Just that really. I really enjoyed his early books.

bishboschone Wed 20-Mar-13 18:21:49

Oh me too .. I loved his books!

weighingitallup Wed 20-Mar-13 18:25:47

I made a genuine sad face and DP just asked me what was up. I enjoyed his books too although i have to say that his recent offering "ash" was just awful, quite possibly the worst book I have read. Maybe he wasn't well when he wrote it, i did wonder sad sad news

Mrsrobertduvall Wed 20-Mar-13 18:32:16

Very sad...didn't think he was particularly old.

FayKnights Wed 20-Mar-13 18:34:54

69, which does seem young, he went peacefully. I don't think he's been well for a few years. Shame Ash wasn't great, it's so disappointing when a favourite author goes downhill, I had the same thing with Jilly Cooper.

WestieMamma Wed 20-Mar-13 23:14:45

Very sad indeed. He was my favourite horror writer. I remember 20+ years ago reading The Fog. We lived near the river at the time and one morning it was so misty that I was too scared to go into work so phoned in sick. blush

ripsishere Thu 21-Mar-13 01:36:29

Shame. i remember 'The Rats' being passed around at school and always always falling open at certain pages...

Flobbadobs Thu 21-Mar-13 10:32:58

sad
Has anyone read Portent? That's one of my favourites along with The ghosts of Sleath and Shrine.
Was Ash really bad? Haven't heard much about it, I assume it was another David Ash book..

WestieMamma Thu 21-Mar-13 23:33:35

I didn't like Portent. It didn't make any sense to me. Shrine on the other hand could only be read in small bursts because it was so scary. One of his best I think. The bit in the chapel with the evil ghost nuns frightened the life out of me.

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 24-Mar-13 20:33:35

I loved The Dark. Also Creed was good, scary and funny. They were the first adult fiction me and my friends read, probably for the sex scenes mainly. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now