Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

cut and re stitch?

(4 Posts)
shine85 Fri 01-Feb-13 23:34:16

Hello...I'm here for some advice really. I had my baby in October. Failed ventouse, forceps delivery. I had stitches for the episiotomy. Five days later they were found to be infected so I was put on antibiotics. About a week later the doctor said the stitches had come open and I was left with an open wound. I gave taken ten courses of antibiotics in total and I think I now have reacted to that...ruby yellow discharge for the last eight weeks. I was eventually referred to a gynae who has given me a date for cutting and re stitching along the perineum. I'm looking forward to it because it could mean and end in sight to all this horrible time I've seen. But I'm also nervous and don't know what to expect. Has anyone here been through this or similar? I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

anonymosity Fri 01-Feb-13 23:38:41

It sounds horrible what you've been through, but that they are willing to fix it now is great and I'm sure the results will be good.

I had a tear on my first delivery which was not stitched up very well (it wasn't infected but it was bloody bad stitching, like someone with a blindfold). When I had my 2nd I tore again and the gynae on the case did a very tidy job indeed.

good luck I'm sure its fixable!

birthcleanser Sat 02-Feb-13 10:39:43

Hello shine, sorry for what you have been through it sounds very unfortunate. please check out www.birthcleanser.co.uk it was designed for mums who have been through the same. Its a shame you hadn't known about us earlier. goodluck and spread the word xxx

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 11-Feb-13 21:41:29

Hi shine85, i just happened upon your thread. I had a re-stitch after my episiotomy broke down. For me it was only a week after I had DS so not as long a wait as you've had, but it made SUCH a difference. It started to heal immediately and just felt right whereas the original stitches never did. I was up and about within a couple of days and had no ongoing issues at all, just had to finish a course of antibiotics. I can feel the scar now if I touch it but DH says he doesn't notice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now