Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2013 IX: Cruising to Christmas with burgeoning bumps

(981 Posts)
Sheldonella Fri 30-Nov-12 08:22:31

Thanks sarahs999 for the lovely new thread name smile

Old thread here

No 9, can you believe it grin

zoeymlucas Fri 30-Nov-12 08:40:42

Morning all - thanks for all your support and telling off, lol today is the BIG management buy out at work we have been working towards for the last 7 months so after today I am offically on wind down and my boss can put up and shut up smile

Hoping its not as freezing for everyone else as it is down here on the sea front - I would of worn thermals if they still fitted smile Sorry didnt post or catch up last night I come home bathed, ate left over chinese and went to bed - fell asleep no pronbelms but woke at 11.15 as couldnt sleep so 'accidently' woke DH to talk to me for a bit, little man decded to practise his jumping on bladder at 4.00am and then didnt really sleep again as was thirsty and had a head ache and couldnt be bothered to walk down 2 flights of stairs!!! Last few days have been SOO thirsty which is really un like me

Sat at my desk with a hot chocolate with cream and marshmellows smile

sundaesundae Fri 30-Nov-12 08:48:14

Just place marking, Zoey hope today goes well!

Person who is buying house, hope all goes well today too!

Will catch up properly later, I am off to use my brain for good in Kent smile

Oodthunkit Fri 30-Nov-12 08:52:04

Good luck today zoey

Em2010 Fri 30-Nov-12 08:54:25

Ooh shiny new thread! Thanks Ladies! Just marking my place.

Good luck today zoey and flowery

sarahs999 Fri 30-Nov-12 09:14:30

Thanks so much for doing that shel. Good luck zoey.

I am freezing today. Frost everywhere, which got ds all excited. If only he didn't leave half his school uniform at school every day. Really at the end of my tether with it. Childminder picks him up so she's not bothered what he's wearing. School is really strict about uniform so you can't wear a similar jumper colour or you get told off. But I refuse to keep buying new uniform because they don't have an effective system to get the kids to do a check at the end of the day. How hard would it be for the teacher to say 'can you all please think about what clothes you should have and check you've got them'? They're only 7 for gods sake. They need help.

I just resorted to nicking an unnamed one from the lost property box. Will return it if his ever shows up again... Anyone else with kids have this problem or is my ds the only culprit?

Sheldonella Fri 30-Nov-12 09:18:31

Very frosty near me this morning, looks like it has snowed on the fields. Freezing, but very pretty.
Hope today is the last day of the manic working zoey and house buying goes smoothly flowery.
That sounds frustrating sarah and fair enough to take one from lost property.

theTramp Fri 30-Nov-12 09:25:58

Zoey - wish you well.

House purchase - smooth runnings!

Everyone else - have a lovely day

lannyshrops Fri 30-Nov-12 09:47:53

Morning all!
Sorry to hear of those still not feeling well and hurrah to those who have been feeling unwell and re now feeling better!
So pleased that hings seem to be settling for you on t he work front zoey

Had very hairy week in work this week as we are moving wards next week. I am on leave (that was well planned!) so was trying so sort as much out this week. The logistics of moving an entire working ward and trying to minimise the disruption to the patients is no mean feat!

I a have taken a time owing day today as we are off on holidays tomorrow!!! I am so looking forward to it! Once we get over the horrid travelling to Gatwick (have to brave the M6 and the M25 - yeuck!) we will have I hope a lovely 5 days of cruising the Norwegian fjords and hopefully getting to see the spectacular northern lights! In all honesty, I am so looking forward to sleeping and not doing too much!

I have just worked out that after this weeks annual leave I only have 7 weeks left in work!!! And two of those weeks are short weeks as it is Christmas and New year!! Oh hurrah! ( of course they have not yet advertised for my replacement yet despite me informing them the day I found out I was pregnant and telling them about September time when I was starting my matty leave! But there again I still have not had a pregnancy risk assessment....)

Love to all xxx

OctoberCarrot Fri 30-Nov-12 10:06:39

Lovely new thread in time for Santa.

Sounds like it is v cold in UK. Cold here but never as cold.

All good here. Had a busy week with activities and Ds sleeping soundly so we are missing music this am.

DS got his mmr yesterday. Am so worried about it but decided to go with it in the end. He is also covered with eczema so we got a prescription for him for some cream. Hopefully will clear quickly.

Looking forward to weekend. Girls night out tonight and then rugby tomorrow. Getting some me time before DH is away for next two weekends.

Only 8 more sleeps before I get to see my beautiful nieces and nephew and meet my new niece. Haven't seen them since August 2011 and they have never met DS so I am so excited. We are planning a trip to airport to greet them.

Hope everyone is feeling well. Happy Friday.

OC x

OctoberCarrot Fri 30-Nov-12 10:14:05

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/1623519-Dont-give-up-work-to-be-a-SAHM-unless?pg=1

Was also reading this thread. Interesting in the SAHM/working mum debate. Obviously some pretty extreme stories but food for thought.

X

StormyBrid Fri 30-Nov-12 11:04:39

Lanny - I was feeling jealous about you going to Norway, but then I remembered I'm going to Germany tomorrow. Here's hoping we both have an excellent (and restful) time! grin

OC - I got hold of a copy of the Cochrane Collaboration's latest meta-study of the MMR a few months ago. As it's a meta-study, it's big, and it found no links between MMR and a whole host of issues. So put your mind at rest, you've done the right thing, and he'll be fine.

Right, time to start running round like a maniac getting everything organised and packed!

JoJoBella84 Fri 30-Nov-12 11:18:07

Just place marking.

Hope everyone is okay - feel like I haven't been around much but two more weeks of hardcore studying and then a 3 week break for Christmas, two exams and 7 months maternity! Oh what I wouldn't give to be on maternity right now!!! Sooooooo tired!

LexiandBeanette Fri 30-Nov-12 12:19:59

Lots of good holiday and house moving wishes to all! Can't believe we are on another thread!
Had a little meltdown at 2am last night due to rib pain& no sleep for fourth night on the trot. DH a bit worried as I got home at 5 and basically just lay down immobile for 2 hours not moving! Am at home today, midwife thinks it is nothing serious (muscular pain or indigestion) but has asked me to see my GP. Feel like a bit of a fraud being at home for something so minor but just so exhausted and tearful!

theTramp Fri 30-Nov-12 13:07:39

Exhaustion isn't minor, it makes everything hard and on top of that your ability to cope breaks down. Sometimes a days rest is best cure of all. Feel better soon my dear.

Fjords sound fabulous!

OCt - have a nice time, sounds like a good couple of weekdays planned

eigmum Fri 30-Nov-12 14:06:35

Manad, prune juice and Pears. That will do it. Let us know!

All going ok here, work busy and I am finally able to function! MIL still around but only one weekend left to manage ... Hope you are all doing well. Lovely to read all the news.

Melissa

pinkpeony4 Fri 30-Nov-12 14:12:10

Lovely new festive thread, thanks Sheldonella

Manda My ds1 & 3 get constipated a lot and the best thing is Movicol which you can get from your GP. Works very quickly! Not sure whether you can take it whilst pregnant but worth checking. They also take Lactulose everyday but that alone won't shift it. Hope you get it sorted soon because it's horrible.

Octobercarrot the MMR decision is a horrid one. All of mine have had it and been totally fine with it though. I am of the opinion that the risk of nasty illnesses and their side effects far outweigh the risk of autism which isn't at all proven anyway. Mine get every vaccination going! I hope ds is Ok with it. The only side effect any of mine got was that ds1 got a slight measles rash on about day 10 and he was still well with it.

Lexi being kept awake by pain of any kind is horrid and sleep depravation does not help your hormones. You are not a fraud at all. Rest today and I hope that the pain eases. I really do recommend trying a Chiropractor, they can help with so many issues.

Lanny Have a fantastic holiday. Scandinavia is one of the few places I have yet to visit and would love to go. Hope it's restful for you.

Sarah My ds1 (6) frequently comes home missing school uniform or with someone else's on instead. It's so expensive because it can only be bought in the school shop and so it drives me mad. Everything is named so where does it all end up?! He also is only allowed to wear regulation everything even down to the hat, scarf & gloves which makes it even more annoying.

Zoey I hope everything goes well today at work.

Today is ds3's 2nd birthday so lots of excitement (from the older boys) in our house. They opened his presents for him (he was more interested in the paper) and then whilst the older 2 were at school/nursery this morning I had some friends over with similar aged Children which was very sweet. Gruffalo cake at lunchtime and then this afternoon he can play with his new toys. 27 weeks today! I have had a massive sort out of my boy baby clothes. Loads have been listed in ebay and some given to a friend and my special items kept for when/if my sister has a baby. I can never get over how tiny newborn clothes are when I get them out again!

Enjoy your weekends. It's freezing cold here so want to hibernate!

Oodthunkit Fri 30-Nov-12 15:02:48

OC dd1/2 both had measles despite having been jabbed. It affected dd2s hearing but could have been much worse. Dh used to work with a lot of children who were damaged by rubella/measles so wouldn't consider not vaccinating although I do feel singles should be an option. They work on herd immunity so the herd needs to protect those who can't have the vaccine ( egg allergies/hypersensitivity etc).

theTramp Fri 30-Nov-12 15:14:57

Evidence ofthe vaccine causing issues is practically non existent. There was some utterly appalling & v damaging media reporting on that story and it refuses to go away. Evidence of damage measles inflicts very strong indeed. I think people forget it was a killer. Vaccine won't necessarily stop you getting measles but def prevents the worst from happening. There are a lot of nasties that had almost been irradiated that have come back in recent gets for several reasons, inclusive of people being less vigilant with vaccines. Awful really.

I was reading about whooping cough in UK today. Scary stuff. Def getting jab - would hate Socs to arrive only to become one of unlucky few.

Oodthunkit Fri 30-Nov-12 15:20:34

My mum has just had whooping cough and it's been awful. Judging by the rest of us not getting it I assume the dds vaccines have worked & I'm
Immune although I'll still get the jab.

mandasand Fri 30-Nov-12 15:51:50

Thanks for all the constipation advice, possom, tramp, jojo, flowery, eigmum and pink - you're all lovely! - and hoping you too get sorted out soon, Sheldon! I won't bang on about it any more, especially as Lactulose has somehow lessened the pressure, but I am still not so patiently waiting for the earth to move… I've starting eating again now nausea has inexplicably passed, so surely I have to go soon?!

Flowery - have you completed on the house?! Never used to before DH, but now we get all our appliances from John Lewis as they have longer warranties or something and are v.v.v.g. at after-sales. Had an almost exciting moment earlier when I couldn't get our machine to work. I re-pressed all the buttons, got a bit wahoo about it giving up the ghost (it's ancient and came with the house and I'd like to replace it before babies come) … but then realised I'd failed to shut the door properly, gah.

Wishing you all the best with the gallery opening this weekend Tramp.

Pink happy birthday to your gorgeous DS3. Sounds like he (and you!) have had a very nice day. smile

JoJo not long to go now! Keep on truckin'.

Ta for new thread Sheldon! Number nine!!

OC ta for link to SAHM discussion - food for thought, as you say!

Zoey glad to hear it re wind-down! smile

Lexi hope you have an easier night tonight. I am v. sympathetic on lack of sleep. Past four nights I think it's been 2, 2, 4-5, and 4 hours for me. The last two nights have felt luxurious by comparison!

Sarah your trials re DS's uniform made me smile, but I can imagine it's a massive pain in the *rse. Can't you somehow make childminder take responsibility for it? She is your stand-in, after all, and it's something you would, and need to, do.

Lanny enjoy those fjords, sigh! Lovely smile My pregnancy risk assessment was hilarious: I put n/a for almost everything as I work from home, hehe. I love being a nuisance with those kinds of form.

We had a Chinese last night but I managed only a tiny bit. Babies went bonkers with the chilli (and I've not been eating much recently as well) and kicked and flumped for ages. It was getting a bit much actually, especially around my belly button where I think I either have no muscles, or my muscles have come apart, so I held my hand there as all the prodding and poking was making me feel a bit queasy, but the slight pressure of the hand seemed to encourage them all the more! Oh dear! In the end I just put a rug against my bump and tried to ignore it!

Just had a funny moment with our new(-ish) cleaner. She's only been about 3-4 times for us as I've been out quite a bit with work on the days she can do, but we're going to start weekly now, on Mondays. We must have been talking at cross purposes for ages because she was saying how she didn't have enough to do and could she iron (no, we don't iron) or do all the windows (ooh, okay) next time. We looked at the diary for a bit and I waved her off saying see you on the 10th, and she said, no - I'll see you on Monday ... i.e. in three days' time! That's why she needed more things to do as the house won't be a tip after all her immaculate work today (unless we try really hard…) I was sure we were talking about the 10th, but, erm, nevermind! It's going to be an expensive week, then, but from her perspective she's been really v. flexible over October/November and she probably needs to start coming in every week asap to make it worth her while. She already did a lot of internal windows today so I'm a bit stuck as to what other things to suggest. Would it be okay to ask her to scrub down the baby furniture friends and family kindly gave to us without always cleaning it down first, I wonder?

mandasand Fri 30-Nov-12 15:52:29

ps no-one has offered me the whooping cough vaccine yet - does that happen at 28 weeks?

LexiandBeanette Fri 30-Nov-12 15:57:27

Love the thread title! Thanks for being so understanding, all. So good to have the Marchers here!
Good luck with study JoJo and big work day Zoey!
Well back from the docs. I have costochondritis, ie inflammation of the rib tissues. Nothing threatening for baby or digestive which is a big relief. Main issue is that while doc sympathised as it is apparently known to be v painful, I can't take anything except normal doses of paracetamol as I am 28 weeks tomorrow. He did also say a heat pack is fine as it won't be on the bump (too high) so won't affect baby.
Was a bit naughty and popped into Next on the way back and bought my first baby clothes - 3 little sleepsuits in white with little silver mice and stars. I bought 'up to one month' rather than 'first size' as I just can't believe we will have a baby that small! DH is tallish (6"1) but very long in the leg.
Met a mum from my prenatal pilates group too with her newborn, she's my height and advised avoiding the teeny tiny clothes as her LO was 8lb but very long legged. Her little one was gorgeous and she looked really well, reminded me that it will all be worth it smile
Happy 'Scottish Day' to all the Scots on here, too! Loving the tam o'shanter smilies grin

LexiandBeanette Fri 30-Nov-12 15:59:06

Cross posted manda hope you get more eased soon! And I think the baby furniture idea is a good one.

Just marking place. Loving the St Andrew's Day smilies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now