Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

ante-natal classes - any advice on finding a good one? Are they all that necc?

(3 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:30:53

Just beginning to look into this as I know my MW is going to ask how I am progressing with finding a class when I see her tomorrow.

I am keen to meet expectant mums in my area (though we are moving so don't yet know where that will be which makes it harder!!) and obviously would like some basics of how to actually handle a newborn (!) but I am NOT at all into anything hippy-dippy. A lot of the local classes I have been looking at all seem to involve a lot of hypno-relaxation and yoga poses, and that is just not me at all.

Obviously there are NCT classes but (and please please don't think I am knocking these!!!) I have heard such mixed reports. A cousin of mine LOVED them and made friends and support for life. A good friend of mine HATED them and said she felt as if she was being indoctrinated into a particular style of birth/child-rearing that wasn't at all up her street.

Does anyone have any evidence or experience one way or the other to support either of these extreme views?! Obviously NCT is nationwide so is the easiest one to research on-line but my friend had such a horrible experience with her class it gives me a lot of pause! I don't get the impression NCT is hippy-dippy, though, which may mean it would suit me more?

I really am looking for genuine advice, this is such a steep learning curve and I am floundering a bit. Thanks so much in advance.

Want2bSupermum Tue 02-Oct-12 17:32:21

I think the problem is that you don't find out if your classes are good or not until after you have had your baby....

In my case the classes were not that great at preparing me for childbirth. They skipped over CS stuff which is where I ended up. It would have been nice if the nurse went through the procedure and told us things such as it being completly normal to have the shakes after. I also did the breastfeeding class. It was useless and the lacation consultant post birth was a much better support.

In hindsight a doula would have probably been the best option for me. I didn't make friends with anyone from my class and I wasn't looking to either.

swimsunandski Tue 12-Feb-13 15:52:12

If anyone's interested in natural birth techniques, I have just seen that Chelsea & Westminster Hospital in London are running a Natural Pain Relief & Birth Preparation Workshop Taster session at 18.30hrs on 13th March. It says that you have to book though by calling the hospital's Kensington Wing at tel. 0203 315 8616. There's more info at www.facebook\natalhypnotherapy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now