to say that you DON'T need to mark your place on a thread in order to read the deletion message

(65 Posts)
GetOrf Sat 16-Feb-13 18:32:00

You can still view the deletion message if you try and visit the thread from your phone or browser history.

Then there is no need to fill up a stirry gossippy bitchy thrilling thread with christ knows how many 'marking place's and '.'

Ilovexmastime Sat 16-Feb-13 18:32:55

Hear hear!

BumpingFuglies Sat 16-Feb-13 18:34:07

No you don't but the "collective waiting" nosiness camaraderie can be quite entertaining.

GetOrf Sat 16-Feb-13 18:49:54

Yes but now threads which are interesting are now 50 percent deletion message placeholders.

Well perhaps not 50 percent. A lot though.

mirry2 Sat 16-Feb-13 18:51:37

Just place the thread in the ;I'm watching' section. Easy.

GetOrf Sat 16-Feb-13 18:53:59

I have never used threads I'm watching.

<marks place>

BreadForMyBREADGUN Sat 16-Feb-13 18:55:26

Yeah, but you need to remember where the thread is and save it or something. Much easier to post and just have it on TIO.

<lazy>

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Sat 16-Feb-13 18:59:00

I put a suspect thread in my threads list. It disappeared with out a trace. I should have made up something to say and place mark.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 16-Feb-13 18:59:01

Why don't you use Threads I'm Watching Getorf?

GetOrf Sat 16-Feb-13 19:02:13

I don't know why I don't use it! Mind you I was on mumsnet for about 4 years before I fathomed out what flip thread meant grin

I think it's just as easy to go to my history and click on the thread from there, I suppose. If it has been deleted it's still there and you get the deletion message even if you have never posted on it.

BreadForMyBREADGUN Sat 16-Feb-13 19:02:58

True, never thought of that

<dunce>

RustyBear Sat 16-Feb-13 19:04:15

Threads I'm watching doesn't work -I was watching the one that was deleted this afternoon and it's just not there now, no deletion message. It is on maryz's congratulations thread, though and on Bluelights follow-up thread (though slightly different wording, not sure which one is accurate)

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 16-Feb-13 19:05:12

Oh goody!

A sneaky thread about a deleted thread!!

grin

The message doesn't come up on TIW - or at least it didn't. And my iPad keeps randomly wiping my history.

Meglet Sat 16-Feb-13 19:12:19

cool! It works.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 16-Feb-13 19:16:13

Oh good, I thought you would give some erudite, sensitive reason and I'd have to stop using it too!

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 19:22:29

oh getorf you miss the funthat way.
marking your place is a way of saying "I waz there"
and it's fun.
and it reminds you to check.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 19:25:53

haha.
I've told the teacher on you.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 16-Feb-13 19:30:32

It does get a bit boring though when half the posts on a long thread are just placemarking.

Placemarking bollocks and twaddle is fine grin

GetOrf Sat 16-Feb-13 19:37:29

Eh? It's not a thread about a thread.

Fair enough posting twaddle, but I think if you are interested enough in the thread you could post something, and not just a full stop or 'marking place' - it makes the threads really boring to read when everyone does it.

Plus (selfishly) you see a thread which has a few hundred posts and you get all excited and think it's a row interesting discussion and it's a bit disappointing when most of the posts are markers.

Tee2072 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:44:38

Marking place...

FloatyBeatie Sat 16-Feb-13 19:45:02

Does seem a tad daft that mnhq have devised a system of deletion messages that just results in problem threads getting repeatedly bumped by place markers. A whole new source of attention for trolls.

BelindaCarlisle Sat 16-Feb-13 19:45:36

yup you are all sad fuckers
but mostly getorf

( btw getorf if you were on twitter you could chat about clinique chubby sticks for EYES)

BelindaCarlisle Sat 16-Feb-13 19:46:09

i ranted about marking space posts the other day.

use the bookmark thing guys or watched threads or go and get a life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now