Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why so many women are in denial about misogyny?

(807 Posts)
seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 21:31:38

What do they get out of insisting that men are subject to exactly the same level of discrimination and abuse as women? That Mary Beard, for example, would have been treated in the same way if she had been a man?

I just don't get it.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 22-Jan-13 21:35:24

me neither

LesBOFerables Tue 22-Jan-13 21:36:55

It's wishful thinking, or sometimes just being a bit dim, I think.

ConstantCraving Tue 22-Jan-13 21:37:25

YANBU.

KhallDrogo Tue 22-Jan-13 21:41:23

Some get quite angry about it too

I can never tell if they are being blind to it, or I am a paranoid man-hating old hag!

AnyFucker Tue 22-Jan-13 21:42:11

Some women do rather well out of supporting misogyny, it seems to me

StuntGirl Tue 22-Jan-13 21:42:54

YANBU.

TheOriginalLadyFT Tue 22-Jan-13 21:43:25

Because to face up to the truth is painful and perhaps unbearable

The older I get, the more angry it makes me. Millennia of abuse, repression and humiliation

Where? I cannot believe that anyone would even think this ....

fatfinger Tue 22-Jan-13 21:50:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AnyFucker Tue 22-Jan-13 21:51:06

There you go.

AnyFucker Tue 22-Jan-13 21:51:34

Yes, your cock does look lie a finger.

next question ?

AnyFucker Tue 22-Jan-13 21:53:48

that took less than 20 minutes < sigh >

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 22-Jan-13 21:55:11

The way Mary Beard has been treated is shameful.

According to some DM readers, you can't say anything any more. You can't even write horrible things about an ugly bluestocking on the internet without the feminists moaning about misogyny. It's PC gone mad.

angry By all means disagree with her politics. But what has the way she looks got to do with anything? Fucking unbelievable.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 22-Jan-13 21:55:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sunnywithshowers Tue 22-Jan-13 22:00:13

YANBU

TheOriginalLadyFT Tue 22-Jan-13 22:00:50

Portofino Tue 22-Jan-13 22:04:25

Agree with Ariel about Mary Beard sad. I never used to SEE it, the misogyny I mean. Had an education, a career etc. It was NORMAL (again the misogyny). I felt like i done well, been treated reasonably well. Feminism was not an issue to me.

And then the scales fell from my eyes. And it is horrible! And I have a daughter. And she won't suffer from the same ignorance that I grew up under I hope....

fatfinger Tue 22-Jan-13 22:10:58

Her leash Original lady, if you're talking about mine!

I'm fucking off to bed now Ariel, to my happy world where I am not hated for my gender. I hope your torment doesn't tie you up in knots too late!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 22-Jan-13 22:13:23

Well have a lovely sleep now. Perhaps before you go, you could explain what you meant?

TheOriginalLadyFT Tue 22-Jan-13 22:14:30

Well that world is not the real world, ff

seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 22:15:16

<wonders vaguely what fatfinger's point was. Decides it's not worth the effort>

AnyFucker Tue 22-Jan-13 22:17:19

Like I said, some women think they do well out of misogyny

FelicityWasCold Tue 22-Jan-13 22:17:40

I'm fucking off to bed now Ariel, to my happy world where I am not hated for my gender. I hope your torment doesn't tie you up in knots too late!

Now replace the word gender with Race.

You sound like a bit of a knob now don't you?

Greythorne Tue 22-Jan-13 22:18:45

There's a thread about a TV presenter who apparently wears very revealing , sexually provocative clothes, whilst her male co-hosts wear business attire.

The number of women on that thread saying, "who says you have to look boring to be taken seriously / she chooses her own clothes / who says feminists have to look ugly (sorry, "fugly") / feminism is about choices, doncha know........"

I had to hide the thread it was sooooooo frustrating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now