So was the baby Jesus black or white?

(46 Posts)
LynetteScavo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:07:13

DD has offered to take in one of her dolls to complete the nativity scene the teacher has set up in the classroom.

She was going to take baby George, who is white, but DS2 said baby Billy would be more appropriate because he's black.

They then both looked at me, and I think Jesus would be dark, but not black. We don't have a doll like that. So who gets the honour of being baby Jesus, George or Billy?

Apparently I have the final say in the morning. confused

rhondajean Tue 11-Dec-12 21:31:42

Wasn't he Jewish?

Schlock Tue 11-Dec-12 21:33:46

Wasn't he somewhere in the range of dark olive? He supposedly came from the middle east so he'd be dark white with a tinge of north african, wouldn't he?

Hey, he was a real person with nice ideas but he wasn't white!

ZhenThereWereTwo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:35:31

I would say he was probably pinky brown, could you give George a face paint?

LynetteScavo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:35:38

Well, yes he was definitely Jewish.

Shall we send in Billy then?

SanityClause Tue 11-Dec-12 21:37:29

He probably would've looked like a Palestinian would look, today. So neither would be right, really.

Why don't you draw names out of a hat? This would help to give the message that it doesn't really matter what colour skin someone has - even someone as important as the baby Jesus is to Christians.

LynetteScavo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:40:15

Oh, I'm liking the skin colour isn't important.

The other question was should he wear a blue or pink nappy. grin

mrscrimbobash Tue 11-Dec-12 21:41:51

Definitely the pink. The messiah LOVED pink.

(Well documented fact)

HipposGoBerserk Tue 11-Dec-12 21:44:44

I think he was wrapped in swaddling, so no nappy, but a length of Andrex.

mrscrimbobash Tue 11-Dec-12 21:46:42

Part baby Jesus... part Andrex puppy....

alemci Tue 11-Dec-12 21:52:51

He was Jewish so I would think he would be olive skinned but then some Jewish people are fair skinned.

thenightsky Tue 11-Dec-12 22:17:14

He was only Jewish on his mother's side though wink

rhondajean Tue 11-Dec-12 22:20:58

Yes, what colour IS god?

FlojoHoHoHo Tue 11-Dec-12 22:25:33

Go for Billy, there are a lot more pink dolls around than black so they probably always had a pink Jesus, make him black for a change.

God's rainbow coloured wink

PickledInAPearTree Tue 11-Dec-12 22:31:39

He should be all the colours. Can you cut all the dolls up into bits and see them back together?

Pink nappy for sure.

rhondajean Tue 11-Dec-12 22:39:35

I like to think of god more as light thn colour I suppose. Could they perhaps take a torch instead of a doll?

PickledInAPearTree Tue 11-Dec-12 22:44:02

Pull out the dolls eyes and ram a torch up his arse and then light will come forth from his eyes.

Twill be the talk of the school.

Jojobells1986 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:45:20

As a newborn, wouldn't his skin have been lighter in colour than it would be for the rest of his life? Did I imagine that darker-skinned babies are slightly paler when they're first born? hmm

FWIW, when I visited an African hospital, the babies were each covered with a sheet & the proud mums pulled the sheets back to show us their babies - maybe you can get away with throwing a sheet over the doll & noone will know what colour skin it has! wink

rhondajean Tue 11-Dec-12 22:47:57

I like pickles idea grin

MissCellania Tue 11-Dec-12 22:50:01

the picture on the left is supposedly what jesus would have looked like had he been real

Viviennemary Tue 11-Dec-12 22:54:09

Strictly speaking neither doll would be the correct one. But since its symbolic then either would do!

PickledInAPearTree Tue 11-Dec-12 22:57:42

Miss c, Jesus looks abut like Michael elphick?

cafecito Tue 11-Dec-12 23:02:03

I'd go for black

OMG antoinette God is gay?!? What's all the fuss about marriage then?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now